Singapore: a city state


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 8th 2015
Published: January 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Singapore


Singapore, a city state, is an island south of the Malay Peninsula and the only country in the world that gained its independence against its own will. Today Singapore is one of the richest countries in the world, and one of the regional leaders in tourism. It is a city of skyscrapers, colonial architecture, Chinese, Indian and Malay temples and a surprisingly large number of newly built green areas. Unlike its neighbors, it has successfully preserved most of its architectural heritage from all different styles, and managed to maintain a clean environment. Its name comes from the Malay word Singapura, which in Sanskrit means Lion City.

Urbanism

On a first look, it is pretty similar to its biggest rival, Kuala Lumpur. Both are large metropolises, with a colonial center and disperse suburbs, fairly developed and modern. Both are dominated by high rise buildings and good modern public transport. But when it comes to urban development Singapore is much better. The City center - Riverside and several old parts, where different ethnic groups have settled down, are well connected with the suburbs forming a continuous integrated area. While Kuala Lumpur does not recognize the importance of public space, in Singapore the streets are walkable, highways are replaced by boulevards and all the rapid transit is underground, which makes it much more pedestrian friendly. More importantly, Singapore has recognized the value of its architectural patrimony and did it best to incorporate it to its modern development plans. The additional asset is its connection with the sea, where the newest projects make a special effort in integrating the city to the wáter.



You may view the whole text here: http://happyfrogtravels.com/guide-singapore-singapore-lion-city/


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb