Jakarta, Indonesia's interesting capital


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta
January 14th 2015
Published: January 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Jakarta, Indonesia


One of the most populated cities in the world, Jakarta is an example of a clearly divided city. While the northern part of the city center, from the old town to the National Monument Park is inhabited by slums, dirt and chaos, the part south of the Park dominated by luxurious hotels and gigantic shopping malls, has a very different vibe. It is a huge city that has little respect for public transportation or its only valuable treasure - the old town Kota, with its splendid colonial heritage.

Urbanism

Although Jakarta was the capital of the Dutch East Indies, the area of the original city is very small and does not define its actual form. Just like in Bangkok there is no well defined center, and the so-called center is organized around the National Monument Monas. The urban grid is pretty chaotic, and intersected with a few wide and long avenues that connect most of the city with two freeway belts. The main street Gajah Mada – M.H.Thamrin goes from north to south, and connects the Old town Kota tua to the National Monument and the shopping district. To the north end, the city opens itself to the sea at the Jakarta Bay.

You may view the whole text here: http://happyfrogtravels.com/guide-jakarta-indonesia-a-victorious-deed/


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb