Singapore, day two


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
August 19th 2013
Published: August 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a bit of a slow start we took a taxi down to the center of town to go on the Singapore Flyer which is the world's biggest Ferris wheel. At 540ft it's a full 100ft higher than the London Eye, and gave us great views of the city. I was especially entertained by the fact that it sits right above the pit lane and start/finish line for the Formula One race track, but apparently I was the only one in the family who cared. The ride took about 30 minutes for one full revolution.

From there we walked over the bridge to the Marina Bay Sands complex. Three towers that are 57 floors high with a ship sitting on top of the buildings. Quite bizzarre sight. And on the "ship" are bars, restaurants and a big open air infinity swimming pool. We sat at the Ku De Ta bar for a very pricey drink and enjoyed the view, then went downstairs for lunch by a skating rink made of some kind of plastic. The Minnesotan side of us found this plastic ice rink pretty strange.

More walking. This time back over the bridge and north towards the Fullerton
Marina Bay SandsMarina Bay SandsMarina Bay Sands

A boat in the sky. An obvious idea really!
Hotel (a lovely old building that was once a big post office I believe) and the famous Singapore Merlion. The merlion is the mascot of Singapore - half fish and half lion. This one squirts water out into the bay and is a pretty iconic image of Singapore.

A little more walking over Cavenaugh Bridge built in 1869 in Scotland and shipped here, got us to Boat Key. Time for another drink stop as the hot weather was getting to us. This time in Harry's Bar. Not only my sister in law's name but also a regular haunt of Nick Leeson, the rogue trader who bankrupted Barings back in the mid 90s.

At this point all three of us were pretty much worn out by the weather and walking so we took a boat taxi up the Singapore river to Jiak Kim and then a taxi home.

The last couple of days here have been very different from the rest of the trip but they've been fun. And it's especially good to see family. It certainly feels like we're back in the 21st century here in Singapore but I must say that the weather makes it tough to do much!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb