Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
August 1st 2006
Published: August 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Merlion Merlion Merlion

symbol of singapore
Arrived in Singapore via the dodgy Malaysian bus that insisted on travelling overnight, through the pouring rain, with no windscreen wipers whatsoever. Stayed in the Little India quarter (after the BIG India experience, I don't know what I was thinking!) and walking down Seragoon Road (the main artery in Little India), it was only polite to have my fortune told by a plucky parrot who, upon hearing my name, picked out a suitably vague tarot card. It foretold riches, travel and tall dark handsome stranger......I'm not holding my breath!

With Singpore only intended as a quick stopover before flying to Perth, after a quick visit to St. Andrews Cathedral, with its stunning stained glass windows and over-enthusiastic guide who insisted on giving us "Bless You" badges, we hit for the city.

Singapore is essentially one big shopping street, Orchard Road, and little else, and since I had just missed "the Great Singapore Sale", timing for shopping was off. Another thing the city is renowned for is eating. There were hundreds of restaurants, stalls, cafes and foodcourts, with foods from all over the world. Great place to eat!

Went to visit the Night Safari, set in 1 of only 2 cities in the world with natural rainforest, and were suitably impressed as we were ferried around on a wee tram round all the nocturnal animals of the jungle.

Most of the enclosures have no fences, and simply have a moat to separate the people from the animals. Most impressive were the big cats (the leopards and tigers which were the only ones that were in fact caged to a certain extent; and the hyenas) with the enormous fruit-bats coming a close second. Pictures were nigh on impossible in the dark light.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Singapore Supreme CourtSingapore Supreme Court
Singapore Supreme Court

..yes that spaceship-like-object is the supreme court!
EsplanadeEsplanade
Esplanade

..and Tony Soprano
Mrs FieldsMrs Fields
Mrs Fields

..mmmmmm
Food courtFood court
Food court

I can even catch flys between those chopsticks now, Mr.Miagi style!
7 117 11
7 11

Our friend in SE Asia!
So Polite!!So Polite!!
So Polite!!

Apology from delivery men obstructing the path!


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb