Cinemas and Safaris


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
May 21st 2006
Published: May 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arab QuarterArab QuarterArab Quarter

Needs manipulation...
Arabian Mornings
I paid a brief visit to the Arabian quarter with its magnificent mosque, but I did not linger in this area due to the Monsoonuous* rainfall that was attempting to turn me into something with the appearance of a drowned rat.
* Is this even a word?

Literary Trails
Having got an email from my future employers with a reading list I thought it would be wise to at least get the one book which was compulsory. Since I have only 3 weeks in the UK before I start work and am unlike to find time then to read such a book I figured it was the only way. And surely Singapore would be an easy place to buy a book on banking? Apparantly not. I spent most of the afternoon trawling around samey malls trying to find this one title, with abosultly no luck. Most places could get me the book in about a week, but since I plan to move on tomorrow this is of little use to me! A wasted afternoon on all accounts.

Into the Wild, Into the night
Having gotten over the dissapointment of my failed book hunt *we went to the Singapore night safar. This was a brilliant wildlife park specialising in Nocturnal animals. The exhibits were impressive and presented in a really good way. I took a tram around the park which provided some informative and funny commentary as we drove around and through the various enclosures. Most animals were bathed in a mild half light and this made them quite easy to see once night vission was developed. The light meant that the fences - where there were fences. Moats, banks etc. were used in some cases, and in other cases nothing more than cattle grids were in place and the animals could wander right up to the tram. There were also some walking trails which put you in the same enclosurs as flying squirrels, and huge bats. Some people were quite scared by these huge creatures jumping and flying around just above head height - and in my case well below it! On the safari we saw some great animals - lions, tigers, leapords, elephants, rhinos, porcupines, hippos, vultures, deer, otters and cyotes.
After the safari we saw the 'animals of the night' show, a cheesy and amusing showcase of performing animals including some rubbish sorting otters.

*or was I relived not to carry around a book that was bound to put me to sleep?

The Flicks / 简体中文版
After the night safari we all went to see The Da Vinci Code at the Cathay Cineplex. It was quite an experience... the chinese subtitles were extremely annoying to start with, but we soon got used to them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

LeapordLeapord
Leapord

Needs manipulation...


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb