Vesak Day 2010 ~ Guan Ming Shan


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
May 28th 2010
Published: May 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday, 28th May 2010



This was one of the few occasions that we decided to stay put in Singapore during the Vesak Day long weekend. For now, I had enough of those uninspiring getaways and sinful indulgences that would hurt our wallets the most.

After a hearty dim sum breakfast at Hua Nan Restaurant located along Upper Thomson Road, we headed to the Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery (aka Guan Ming Shan) located at Bright Hill Drive. Granted that we didn't went vegetarian this morning.

In my 31 years of existence, this was my first visit to the temple grounds even though our house was merely a 20 minutes drive from there. We couldn't help but impressed by the sheer scale of the temple complex. The buildings (probably 10 in all) were nicely carved with dragons and pagodas. A giant Bodhi Tree stood by at the courtyard and it was filled with well wishes from the devotees.

In my opinion, the Kong Meng San complex could well be another attraction for visitors who are interested in all things Buddhism. It made a nice day trip even though the weather was overwhelming and it was crowded with worshippers on Buddha's birthday. The storyboards contained interesting information about the life of Buddha and the origins of Vesak Day. The information presented were able to capture our attention as they weren't too mouthful for our brains to digest. This was certainly useful for newbies like us who weren't staunch Buddhists, yet would like to gain some basic knowlege of the religion.

Overall, a highly rewarding trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb