A leisurely day, still getting over jet lag


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
November 19th 2009
Published: November 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

New Mall over Orchard Rd. MRTNew Mall over Orchard Rd. MRTNew Mall over Orchard Rd. MRT

This huge mall was built over the Orchard Rd. MRT (subway)station. There used to be some nice open space behind the station and that's gone too.."progress" never ceases in Singapore. Notice the "ornaments" hanging from the tree in the foreground. The Christmas tree in front of the mall must be 3-4 storeys tall.
Walked around Orchard Road a bit more today. It's fascinating to see how much has changed in the 5 years since we left. Huge new shopping malls where none existed before, previous malls/hotels/offices torn down and new buildings erected in their place.
We visited the Peranakan Museum on Armenian Street in the afternoon. It's a museum dedicated to the Peranakan peoples and culture of Singapore. Peranakan is the name given to people first born to parents of mixed heritage; for instance those with Chinese and Malay parents or Malay and Indian parents. The space and the exhibits have been upgraded quite a bit since our last visit. I would have liked to take some photos, but as usual with museums, no photography allowed inside. The Peranakan bead work on display was fantastic and there was a special exhibition on Perankan jewelry. Kathy has a couple of pieces she bought when we lived here. The gold used is called "intan" and the diamonds are "rose cut".

Here's a couple of links to find out more:



As the previous afternoon, another big rainstorm hit and caused some serious flash flooding in some areas.
Serious = cars floating around in
TodayTodayToday

We had lunch at another old favorite today, Prima Taste. Kathy had the Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee. (Noodles, egg, shrimp, squid rings and tentacles all fried in some pork fat...spicy condiments)
underground car parks. Apparently the drainage canals just couldn't handle the volume of water in such a short time.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Today's lunch selectionsToday's lunch selections
Today's lunch selections

John had the Laksa (noodles, bean sprouts, shrimp, chicken, and fish cake in coconut milk infused broth). Yummy but definitely not low cal.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb