Peace Boat: Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
September 18th 2008
Published: September 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Singapore Sling



We had two days to explore Singapore. It's a small city with a splash of magic. The mixture of Chinese, Indian and Malay culture gives you a chance to sample egg tarts and pork buns, spicy curry and naan, or nasi goreng. Fresh bread and sweet shops line the streets, while juice stands cool you with tantalizing mango and jack fruit juice.



Around every bend a unique smell captures your senses: cinnamon and cumin, turmeric, chili, sweet bread and durian give each street a special flavor. Each dragon temple, Hindu temple and mosque stands proud and beautiful, nestled amongst the city back drop. Lush palms and jungle trees incase the city with green life, while sky scrapers and modern architechture add a touch of shine.



We stumbled through Bugis Village and shopped the hundreds of stalls selling T shirts and Thai clothes in extra small sizes. We ate Mouth watering Indian curry, dahl, hot garlic naan and spicy chai outside under the street lights. We roamed the city and were lead to a small Indian bar where drinks were free for girls and a live Indian band had us all belly dancing until dawn.



In the day we walked across the city, indulging in snacks and dishes from India. We tried on Punjabi clothes and browsed hundreds of gold tacky jewelry shops. We weaved through the tiny lanes around Arab Street and stopped to snap pictures inside The Raffles Hotel. We had time to rest our legs at a posh internet café and catch up with our friends and family for only $3 an hour! As night fell, the cafe lights along the rivers edge warmed the darkness, and we headed into China town. We followed the glow of the lanterns and wound up in the night market surrounded by BBQ duck and Bali mini skirts. Exhausted from walking and overwhelmed by the days shopping, we had a quick meal in the 2 story 100 stall food court and then we hopped a taxi back to the port.



The port was crazy and packed with crew and passengers. The line up to use the few pay phones was at least an hour long. We had time to buy some last minute crackers and granola bars from the super market, and I just barely reached Maz before I had to board the boat again. If you're late you can wave good bye from the port, as they won't wait for you no matter what. I said a tearful good bye to his sweet voice and raced down the walkway. A strange feeling engulfed me as I realized it would be 9 days before I would feel the earth under my feet again.



In Singapore a few special guests joined the boat for our journey to Africa. The Peters Band from Kenya is aboard now and they have been soulfully entertaining and educating us in African drums, dance, Swahili, animal poaching and breath taking safari photos. We danced under the stars to their wild tribal music. Their white feather head dresses and white war paint glowing in the wind.



My classes are in session now. I teach two classes with 6 students in each class. I usually teach 3 hours a day. It's awesome to have students who are so genki and happy to learn and talk about the world. We watched a picture slide show to John Lennon's "Imagine" song and we had a warming talk about their hopes and dreams for the world. Along with practical lessons on travel survival we try to teach them peace education. It can be a challenge, but everything they students see and do in each country can be applied to the lessons so we have so much to work with.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb