Onto Singapore and the start of our Asia leg of our travels


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
May 5th 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Singapore and the start of our Asia Leg

We flew out of Vancouver on April 24 on Singapore Airlines. Wow what a great airline. Puts all others to shame. Very attentive and constant service -we were wined and dined, given water and whatever else we wanted frequently. I’m glad we will be using them as our hub for all of the remaining trip. Long flight, of course, arriving in Singapore April 25 at midnight crossing the dateline.

Singapore is a beautiful city and is as clean as everyone says. Very expensive compared to everywhere we’ve been so far. Our very modest hotel in the Geylang district (red light area we found out) was about 70$(Singapore dollars) /night, and meals are very expensive. We have found out some alternatives for our future layovers that we have coming up.

Very wealthy city with stunning high rises and super-rapid economic development. The highlight was definitely our visit to the Asian Civilizations Museum. A great collection of ceramics, masks and sculpture going back to the dawn of humanity.

We spent a day hopping on and off the double-decker Hippo Bus -very fun -good tour guide -and we explored Chinatown and the incredible Singapore Botanic Gardens -among other spots.

I’m not sure why any city needs 20 gigantic shopping centers. They do like to shop here.

We are off to Melaka, Malaysia next -travelling by bus on April 28th.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Geylang RdGeylang Rd
Geylang Rd

We stayed not far from here at the Fragrance Hotel Crystal -room was fine and we had our own bathroom and shower - for $S(Singapore dollar)70/night. A little different than the Raffles room rate which is anywhere from $S600. to $S6000. per room per night!!
Raffles HotelRaffles Hotel
Raffles Hotel

a very grand building....
SingaporeSingapore
Singapore

the view out our hotel window
The obligatory Raffles visitThe obligatory Raffles visit
The obligatory Raffles visit

We are going to return for a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar!
The wonderful Botanical gardensThe wonderful Botanical gardens
The wonderful Botanical gardens

We spent much too short a time here as we had to catch the last "hop on" bus...the place is so beautiful and peaceful. There was an orchestra playing classical music on the stage and people enjoying a picnic or playing or just being. The Gardens are open 5 a.m. to midnight every day and they are free!
They cleaned up the Singapore RiverThey cleaned up the Singapore River
They cleaned up the Singapore River

Historic photos show the river filled with boats and people....now there are Chinese bumboats ready to take tourists on a scenic tour....


5th June 2008

I'm following you!
I feel like I'm travelling with you...and loving the experience!! Can't wait to see what you think of Bali Al..I'm so-o-o jealous! I remember Singapore as being the hottest and most humid place of all...but the Singapore slings at the Raffles Hotel were pretty darn yummy! Have fun you two!
19th June 2008

Hi Judy, What fun to hear from you! Al is having an amazing time in Indonesia right now and I am having an amazing time in Dhaka, Bangladesh ....teaching wonderful students- in English - Community Health. Much to say about the experience here so please stay tuned for a long overdue blog update! :) Robin

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb