Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
December 14th 2004
Published: December 14th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Ko Phi PhiKo Phi PhiKo Phi Phi

Havn't got my picture of Singapore downloaded yet so have this.
This is a land of contrasts, that is if you count concrete constrasting with glass.

Everywhere you look there are huge towers that are invariably either a shopping mall or an apartment block or frequently a mixture of the two. 90% of Singapore's 4 million people live in a high rise of some kind. At least we are not talking about Hackney style council flats, but clean colour coded concrete jungleness.

Everywhere we have travelled in Asia seems to be under construction and here is no exception. I read somewhere that all heavyweight buildings here is causing Singapore to sink slowly back into the mud from whence it came. I'm sure at some point the Singaporeans will think of some technological marvel that will avert the crisis at some point and it will probably have lots of glowing lights, bits of chrome and a little sign saying don't touch or be fined $5000.

After a long day dong the tourist thing on Sentosa Island we went to a 24 hour superstore packed with people buying dvds, bread, tupperware and shoes at 11.30pm it was most strange. It didn't help that in the process of building another skyscraper next door that a buldozer had severed the telephone lines and all the computer systems were down. The poor checkout people had to invoice each item manually including writing the barcodes. Some sucker is going to have a few mental days of data entry when the systems come back up.

Only one country left to go after we leave here tomorrow night. It seems incredible that 3 months have gone so quickly, although not as quickly as the money has been going here. We are both ready to come home to see familiar people and places but if it wasn't for Christmas I reckon we could spend another couple of months travelling around.
Still gotta get back soon as Arsenal are slipping down the table without my unwavering support.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb