Day 6


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
October 5th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got up very early and took a bus out to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. As soon as we walked up the road towards the reserve, there were lots of long tailed macaques hanging out in the trees and on the big billboard that said "Don't feed our monkeys". Some even had tiny babies with them! It was like being in a rainforest and we saw quite a lot of wild life including a monitor lizard, flying lemur, skinks (lizard), lots of beautiful butterflies, birds that looked like cookaburras, magpie type birds with very long delicate tails and thousands of ants on the move across the woodland pathes. We decided to do the 13km walk from the reservoir to MacRitchie Reservoir in intense heat, fortunately a lot of the walk was in shade. We recommend you take plenty of water (although there are water stations) and unlike us pack more than a packet of biscuits and eat breakfast first! En route, we came across another large troop of monkeys - all by the roadside, jumping about on the parked lorries and cars - they obviously have been fed there in the past before strict fines were put in place for feeding monkeys. We were awarded on arrival at MacRitchie Reservoir by the fantastic aerial bridge walk sponsored very kindly by HSBC (our overdrafts are paying for it) - there was a monkey sat at the gate and we were given strict instructions to walk past and not even look at it as it may lead to an attack! We were very pleased to complete our trek and eat some lunch before having a cold bath back at the hotel. Ate out last night at the Bana Leaf restaurant in Little India - not much ambience - rather like a service station, but fantastic food - dosai can be highly recommended (rather like Ethiopian injura (probably spelt incorrectly), as can the panir sag.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb