Our Singapore Sling!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 14th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It seems so long now since last we wrote... Australia really is as good as they say! We seem to have far less free time than we did in India! (Nothing to do with the abundance of bars and beaches... of course). So... back to Singapore! We woke up early on Valentine's Day morning, on a plane, gave each other a Valentine's kiss (closed our eyes so it could have been with the man of our dreams...) and proceeded to thoroughly enjoy the clinical cleanliness of Singapore relative to India. The highlight of our day was going to the loo and revelling in the fact that we didn't have to worry about catching any one of a number of diseases! We started as we were to go on... in the shopping malls. We were, obviously forced into this decision by the UNBELIEVEABLE humidity of Singapore- the shopping malls were the only place we could breathe. After a blissful shower, and a nap on crisp clean white sheets (heaven!) we headed out for our romantic date at Singapore Night Safari. As the stars twinkled over head, we gazed lovingly into one another's eyes and marvelled over the wonders of the natural world (then pigged on a massive brownie- that's true love).

The next day for some unknown reason we headed straight for Little India (after a brief visit to Sim Lim Square to marvel at the electronics). When we realised it was just like India with fewer people and fewer cows, we left and headed for the comfort of another mall. We sauntered along Orchard Road nipping into various shops along the way to shelter from the torrential rain and managed to pick up something pretty to wear for the evening.

When in Rome... we headed straight for Raffles Hotel to blow our budget once again (you may be able to detect a pattern emerging) on Singapore Slings. However, we were not deemed acceptable clientele for the legendary Raffles Billiard room, and were promptly redirected to join the rest of the tourists in the Long Bar. Several Slings later we crawled back to our lovely hotel room.

On our final day in Singapore we visited Chinatown where it was nearly Chinese New Year, but despite the festive air, Rosie was in a foul mood so we had to go to some more malls. When in one, we decided to try and get a view of Singapore from the SwissHotel. After sneaking into the guest-only lifts we thought we were in luck and started our ascent... we hadn't banked on the lift having a BRAIN and knowing we were scummy backpackers so we rapidly plummetted at least 70 floors back to the ground in a matter of milliseconds. Truly weird and left us feeling thoroughly dazed and confused. Needless to say we scarpered and made our way to the airport (after having to buy a massive tartan umbrella to shelter from the torrents of rain) for some duty free shopping and were on our way to Australia.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb