Fort Siloso


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Sentosa Island
December 4th 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Since we have been doing pretty fun and "not so serious" things lately this time we decided to do something else. Or actually, someone else decided that already at school, hence we had a field trip to Fort Siloso, which is a coastal artillery battery and one of the twelve coastal batteries which made up ‘Fortress Singapore’ at the start of World War Two. That was pretty much all I knew about the place beforehand.

Fort Siloso was almost too easy to access because it was located on western tip of the island of Sentosa (formerly called Blakang Mati — the ‘Island behind the Dead’) which is the island where our school is.Fort Siloso was like in our neighborhood and I didn't almost have any idea that it is really so close

The Fort is one of four coastal gun batteries which were constructed on Blakang Mati by the British. There was a time in my life when I remembered the happenings of World War II almost by heart, (I wish I could still say so, oh..) but even that time I only know what happened in Europe and it's surroundings. I only new just basic things what happened in Asia. During our self - guided tour in Fort Siloso, (´Siloso' is a Philippine word meaning ‘Jealous Person’ ) I got to know more about the World War II Asia's point of view. "That people wouldn't do same mistakes again, they should learn about history of former generations"

There were real and drawed pictures, guns and tunnels, sounds of war and many other things to discover, in a not so interactive form though. They had made wax soldiers and reconstructed the real war batteries and shelters. The Gun Museum and a Soldier's home were also showed there. In conclusion the area was effective, maybe more targeted to the older people, people whose parents or grandparents were in the war or for those who have an real interest to these kind of things.

In the end of our trip we faced a monkey attack, or I faced, not a bad one, just went bit too close to that ape, or my face didn't please it as the others who also came as close as I did..


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Feng Shui BuildingFeng Shui Building
Feng Shui Building

the famous one
What a nice tanWhat a nice tan
What a nice tan

Being here just couple months ;)


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb