Little India- Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
October 23rd 2008
Published: June 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Little India 26 secs
Singapore is an eclectic mix of various Asian cultures. It’s a wonderful blend of East Indian, Chinese, Malay and “mixed” cultures. Even through Singapore is a small country there are still pockets of the city that are designated cultural areas. Arab street for Muslims, Clarke Quay for Japanese, China Town and of Little India. When I first read about little India I expected to see markets like I would in the streets of Delhi, Mumbai, etc. Little India is predominantly Tamil with wonderful clothing, jewellery and food shops representative of the southern most part of India.

With a healthy mix of Hindus and Muslims the area around Serangoon road is the most popular. I was lucky enough to visit during Deepawali and this section of town was decorated to celebrate.

As you walk around the area you can see the style of houses. As the areas change and mature you can get the sense of what it must have been like to live and set up shop here.

A few key things to visit of you are in this area:

Masjid Abdul Gaffoor- Build in 1859 this mosque is a beautiful building nestled quietly along the street and easy to miss. The atmosphere is quite and serene. Unlike the Sultan mosque in Arab Street, this mosque is quiet and understated. It reminded me of the mosque I went to as a child.



Tekka Market- This is the closest you will get to a “real” Indian market in Singapore. Shops selling clothes, garlands, jewelry and brassware. There are wonderful restaurants offering authentic south Indian cuisine. The smells alone will tempt you to try something there!


Mustafa Shopping Centre- Of course shopping is the national pass time in Singapore. This shopping complex is a small compared to what you will find on Orchard road. Nevertheless it’s a great Asian indoor haven to the heat in the summertime. Also some good food options in here as well.



Veeramakaliamman template- This template is huge and intricately decorated with various incarnations of the goddess Kali. The inside of the template is cool and serene. Scenes of Kali are painted on the walls in brilliant colour. During festival season the template is packed with worshippers, drums and music.

Singapore is an easy place to navigate. The best way to get there is by public transportation. From the metro get off at “Little India” station and walk towards Serangoon road. You can’t miss it!

http://www.little-india.sg/


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb