Arab Street & Sultan Mosque


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Bugis Village
October 21st 2008
Published: July 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Entrance to Mosque 12 secs
2: Azan 131 secs
The streets are bustling with men and women shopping. Tourists are walking around, taking in the sites. The azan (call to prayer) sounds. Welcome to Sultan Gate in Singapore. The area has a wide street in dark brown with a light, almost golden border that has a series of shops, restaurants and cafes that enclose the area. At the end of the street the path leads to the Sultan mosque. The mosque has a beautiful golden dome which is gleams in the sun light. On perimeter there are palm trees with a serene, almost quite exterior. I was lucky enough to hear the azan sound (call to prayer) when I was there.

The inside of the mosque has a gorgeous glass chandelier and plush green carpet. For non-Muslims you can take a tour of the inside of the mosque during certain hours (link below). Proper dress attire is required.

Once you visit some of the shops take a wonder around some of the smaller streets. Shopping here is different than places like Orchard road, China Town and Little India. You will find more Muslim books, textiles and hookahs in this area. Singapore is a very safe city with almost no crime. There are a number of shopping areas around that you an also visit which will offer a different experience then the small street stores.



http://www.sultanmosque.org.sg/


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb