More temple mania and a days walking.


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
April 13th 2006
Published: April 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we moved to The Prince of Wales 'Hostel' in Little India. This trip was ok as I have now cheated and bought a little trolley to assist me with my bag! (Melissa that is). We settled into our cheap double with nice air con.. Eventually we ventured out to the Tekka centre for some lunch. Hoping to have a bit more luck with my selection. I had Hokkien Noodles, which looked nothing like the picture! Andy had sweet and sour pork. Again Andy finished mine. (at this rate I will loose this extra weight I have got travelling!) We went upstairs and looked around the stalls selling hundreds of sarees. There are so pretty and colourful. I would really like to have one, but don't think it would go down too well. Even though they were all trying to sell us one. We bought some fruit and then headed to the Mustafa Centre which is a massive department store selling everything you could ever want. Before you go in they tag your bags shut or you have to give them in so you cant pinch anything.

After a while looking around we moved on to the Arab Quater and down Arab street to the Masjid Sultan Mosque. This was a massive building. We were not allowed in as it was prayer time. While we were there the prayer call over the loud speaker started blaring out. I thought this was great as it was only something I had seen on tv, but Andy said that happens every friday back in Bradford and Rotherham! We had a walk down Bussorah St. which was a really nice part of Little India.
On the way back we went past a Singaporean bootsale just on the pavements and roads. They were selling more rubbish than we sell back home!
Along the streets heading back we passed lots of Chinese shops selling all sorts of dried smelly things, from squids and fish to other things that we did not recognise! They were piled up in cardboard boxed in the open front shops onto the streets. Very interesting.

After 5 hours of solid walking again we went back to our room to relax in the cool before the night shift.

Night time, so out we went again to the Tekka centre for dinner. Andy had chicken and rice and I had pork and rice. This was ok this time.
Don't know if we have already said about how Little India, like China town, really comes alive at night. These people never sleep. Lots of places are 24 hours. I've already told you how crazy this place is, love it! Even if people do stare a lot at us.
After dinner we went to the Bugis night market. This was a big and busy market. It sold jewellary, clothes, food and souviners.
We had a slow walk back to the hostel past a hotel that offers transit and hourly rates. Yes this is for married couples, not married to each other, prostitutes and young couples to go and have a bit of the old hanky panky. We have read that people live at home generally until they are about 30!
After a long day we finally got back to our hostel for a well earned rest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Masjid Sultan Mosque from Bussrah StMasjid Sultan Mosque from Bussrah St
Masjid Sultan Mosque from Bussrah St

One has the body of a temple, the other is an old ruin.
Dried fishDried fish
Dried fish

Not sure if they eat this or it is for medicine. I wouldn't be surprised if they do them!
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

We have seen flowers like these as offerings in the temples


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb