Little India


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
November 21st 2009
Published: November 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was the day for Little India. We started out at the recently renovated Tekka wet market. We were glad to see that it hadn't been modified...at least not so we could tell. Other than new paint and a general sprucing up things looked pretty much the same. We visited our favorite old tchochke stall run by Mr. Poh on the the second floor of the market. We hadn't intended on buying anything, but of course we found a really nice singing bowl and a cute little Peranakan ware lidded bowl. Bargained a bit with Mr. Poh, and got a pretty good discount for both...after paying fixed price for everything you buy in the states it's a bit difficult to get back in the habit of bargaining.

We wandered down Serangoon road, the main street in Little India past the gold shops and Bollywood video stores and ended up at our very favorite Indian restaurant in the world...Kanhsama. If you ever go to Singapore, this is one place you must go. The couple at the table behind us were US expats with a relative visiting from Tennessee...we had a nice chat with them about living in Singapore in general.

For dinner, we decided to stay with the Indian theme and went to Samy's at Dempsey Hill. We had always intended to go there when we lived here, but never got around to it. We had heard and read that it was one of the best places for curry in Singapore, very authentic down to the banana leaf that your food is served on. However, the food was heavy and greasy and nowhere near as good in quality and taste as Khansama. A bit overpriced also for what you get. Maybe they've had better days, but we would not recommend Samy's to visitors. If having your curry on a banana leaf is important to you, there are probably better options in Singapore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Fresh chicken stall at Tekka MarketFresh chicken stall at Tekka Market
Fresh chicken stall at Tekka Market

Each meat vendor at the market has a specialty such as chicken or mutton (lamb). Some vendors are also halal (certified for Muslim consumption).
Tekka Market Customers stopping for a drink of tea or juiceTekka Market Customers stopping for a drink of tea or juice
Tekka Market Customers stopping for a drink of tea or juice

The market includes a hawker center where customers can get a quick bite or a drink.
Poh's antiquesPoh's antiques
Poh's antiques

It's always fun to see what Mr. Poh has in his shop in the second floor of the Tekka market. Prices very reasonable and willing to negotiate.
Chicken heriyali at KhansamaChicken heriyali at Khansama
Chicken heriyali at Khansama

Our favorite Indian restaurant in Singapore is Khansama on Serangoon Road. This is probably our favorite dish, chicken heriyali. I can't tell you what the spices and herbs are, but it's fantastic. I've never seen it in the States and I've tried to duplicate it at home without much success.
Little India street sceneLittle India street scene
Little India street scene

Notice the more modern high rise in the background.
Little India, Serangoon RoadLittle India, Serangoon Road
Little India, Serangoon Road

Ladies reading text message on cell phone.
Banana leaf curry at Samy's on Dempsey HillBanana leaf curry at Samy's on Dempsey Hill
Banana leaf curry at Samy's on Dempsey Hill

Major disappointment compared to Khansama.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb