Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
March 23rd 2012
Published: March 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

We have just had our last full day in Asia! We arrived in Singapore on Tuesday night and have been exploring the city for the last 2 days.

Yesterday we went out on a walk around Marina Bay which is the most modern part of the city with lots of skyscrapers and posh hotels.We walked for a while though the major banking district which was very similar to Canary Wharf and then made our way to the other major sights around the bay like the Esplanade theatre and the Fullerton Hotel.

After finding some lunch we decided to walk to the F1 pits. We went there thinking that we would just be able to look at the buliding, but when we arrived we found that there were no fences and the place was deserted apart from a couple of workmen. We were even more surprised when we asked one of the workmen if we could go in, he just waved us through! So we walked through one of the pit garages and emerged on the starting grid. We spent the next hour walking around the track and the pit area. We saw all the names of the drivers above their garages. As it is a street cuircit we were able to walk along the majority of the streets that they race around and can't believe the the lap record is 1 minute 48 seconds.

After walking along the F1 track we made our way across the Double Helix Bridge to the half of the bay that is completely dominated by the Marina Bay Sands Hotel. It is the world most expensive hotel, it cost 4 billion pounds to build and has a platform running across the three towers of the hotel. There is an infinity pool on top that is the length of 3 Olympic pools!! The hotel also has its own shopping centre (complete with canal), theatre and casino. We decided that we should try and get to the top and into the 'Skypark'. We jumped in a lift in tower 2 and pressed 55. Unfortunately you can't take one lift right to the top of the hotel. So after switching lifts about 3 times and on the 47th floor we tried to ascend the final few floors. We thought we would make it when a sign started flashing for us to enter our keycard. Our hopes were dashed and we made our way back down to the ground floor.

The heavens then opened on us and it started pouring down. There was loud thunder and we got some great pictures of lightning behind the Singapore skyline.

That concluded our full day in Asia and we are looking forward to flying out to Australia tonight!

Matt and Charlie.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd March 2012

That just sounds amazing. I can't get over that hotel. It's crazy. Lydia says 'I love you' with 10 kisses. So good to walk on the F1 track. Did you pretend you were racing cars! DRIVE CAREFULLY IN AUSTRALIA. Bet you can't wait. Lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
24th March 2012

. such fun!!!
what amazing buildings!! well done for trying to get to top, i would have too, F1; was that interesting for all three of you?

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb