Land Ahoy…Singapore here we come (again?)


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
December 30th 2008
Published: December 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 28 December and we are well into the Straits of Malacca, just abeam Port Dickson to be exact. The weather has been superb and the seas very busy since we first sighted tips of land on the Sumatra side yesterday. This morning we have been following the channel on the Malaysian side and seen long stretches of coastline, headlands and settlements to the left (port side). The Strait is teeming with shipping of all shapes and sizes. We recently overtook a heavily laden Maesk container vessel, going our way at about 12 knots or thereabouts. We have reduced speed to about 18 Knots and are expected to make Singapore by midnight. The captain assures us we can go ashore once immigration has done with us in the morning. Fingers crossed for that, as we are now quite keen to walk on terra firma for awhile and of course renew contact with our illusive suitcase. We have settled comfortably into a routine of sorts and with meals, sea and ship observations, workouts in the Rec. room, visits to the Bridge, circumlocution of the vessel, chatting with crew and passengers, reading, writing and sipping wines and spirits the days roll pleasantly by. Our fellow passenger, another Australian, is reaching the end of the last unread book of those he brought so he to is looking forward to a shopping venture which will include a visit to Borders in Orchard Road. We will take the chance to replenish out grog supply (probably wont avail ourselves of the on board ‘slopchest’ again unless desperate) and acquire a few further necessaries. Our electronic readers have already proved themselves.

PP:

Right Ho!! you scurvy knaves! Swab the deck! Scrape the barnacles! Your rum ration will be cut! (Oh No, Sir - anything but the rum ration!!!) Oops! Getting a bit carried away here - the real Captain is much kinder than that (if a bit taciturn)- I still have my rum available (just as well?!!). We’ll rectify the loss of our seaman’s (seawoman’s?) chest tomorrow, we hope. Then knicker washing needn’t be so frequent - and we should have our carefully downloaded music back - to improve the ambience in our lovely living quarters while sipping (hopefully better) wine. Oh, and of course that includes the rum ration!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The nerve centreThe nerve centre
The nerve centre

Bridge from the pilot deck
Our WindowsOur Windows
Our Windows

the pair and single windows at the top are our cabin


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb