1st stop, Singapore - not Bangkok


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Changi
November 27th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we flew out of Heathrow as planned, and then our months of planning started to go down the drain. Before we boarded the flight we were all given letters from Quantas explaining that there was some civil unrest in Bangkok, and they'd keep us up to date with the situation. We thought it was just a formality for their insurance and didn't think much of it, especially when a couple of hours into the flight the captain announced that the situation had improved somewhat and we were on our way to Thailand as planned.
We woke up at about 0600hrs GMT to the smell of fresh airline food and a further PA announcement from the captain. "I trust you had a good rest. Unfortunately, The situation at Bangkok has deteriorated and the airport is closed. We've managed to get a slot at Singapore so will be diverting there." No problem for most of the passengers, who were staying on board and heading straight for Sydney, but what about us?! And it wasn't just us, there were plenty of other stranded backpackers and a couple of grumpy sex tourists.
So the 11hr flight turned into a 13hr one and we landed at around 1800hrs local time at Singapore Changi airport. A bit closer to the equator than we had expected but right from the minute we landed the efficiency of the place was plain to see. Our group was escorted to a great hotel at the airport and we've been given full board for two nights. The hotel is amazing and the food delicious, but we don't yet really feel like backpackers.
We don't really know what we're going to do from here, still awaiting news. We need to get up to Hanoi, and have all but written off Bangkok for now. We tried to speak to Quantas earlier but their desk was eerily quiet.
Instead we took the clean and impressive MRT down to the city centre and had a wonder around in the sticky 30C heat. This city is the west in the east, all signs are in English and it is incredibly well ordered. Needless to say I like that aspect in many ways but we feel like we have to be on our best behaviour all the time!
I've attached a couple of photos and I'll send some emails soon but got to find out a bit
Fook Hing Trading CompanyFook Hing Trading CompanyFook Hing Trading Company

I'm going to teach Catherine how to hold the camera straight
about how we're getting out of here. Starting to feel a bit like we're on The Truman Show.

Stay safe
Nic


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



27th November 2008

Yeay!
Wow - am I glad to read your blog! I've been worrying about you both! Hope it all works out okay and you get to Hanoi as planned. Knew you'd like Singapore, Nic. Good to see you've named the little fellas - I see Pat is still disabled. Keep blogging, please (I don't want my hair to turn grey with worry!!) BIG HUGS XXX

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb