To Singapore and beyond....


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Bugis Village
July 13th 2008
Published: July 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Singapore on the 10th July into the most beautiful airport we have seen in months! As we drove into town we appreciated the small things in life such as lines on the unbroken road, brand new Mercedes Benz taxis, toliet paper in the airport loos and Western fast food on every corner. Not that these things matter to us but it feels awhile since we have been in "civilization".

Singapore is lovely and was quoted by mom today to be "the Asian country to visit if you aren't the kind of traveller that can handle real, poverty stricken, squat toliet Asia!"

We took a bus into town to Hotel 81, a modern but overpriced hotel where we checked into our room with no windows and the shower head practically over the toliet seat. That should be fun in the morning! Dropped our bags off and set off for the New 7th Storey Hotel to meet up with my mom. She wanted to visit us on our travels around the world and when I said Singapore she was game. A 20 hour flight later and we wanted to see how she got on.. and more importantly if she arrived! She did and opened the door shocked to see us halfway around the world. Think she was thinking the same thing.. I wonder if they made it!

Headed out to the streets afterwards for some grub and my first lesson in chopsticks- I almost had the knack when the waiter came over (saw me struggling from across the room and thinking silly westerner!) and taught me the proper way to hold my utensils.

The next day we checked out of our overpriced hotel (as the price was going up!) and moved into the 7th Storey. Then out for the day to see some of the sights of Singapore. We walked to the Raffles hotel to check out the infamous Long Bar- the home of the Singapore Sling. We declined to have one as they cost $14 each plus that souvenir glass was bound not to make it around the world. Instead we headed for the museums.

First stop the Singapore Art Museum. We haven't been to a good museum since we started travelling so it was a fantastic experience and we happened to show up during their lunchtime promotion which meant free entry-score! We enjoyed
Long BarLong BarLong Bar

home to the famous Singapore Sling
the photography exhibit and the modern SE Asian art before our stomachs started to rumble. We were guided to a place for local food and had our choice of as many Asian cuisines as you can name. Had a lovely lunch and a fight with my chopsticks (again!)-I have never eaten so slowly in my life. A work in progress.

After getting every last noodle in my mouth (i will get it if it kills me!) we headed for the National Museum of Singapore. A $10 entry that was worth every cent! What a fabulous museum. It is completely based around audio-visual and smellable delivery of history and events! We got lost for hours smelling different historic herbs, spices and fruits before learning about the nationalities that call Singapore home and how they arrived here. The best part was a movie created about the city that was presented in a round theatre with a fantastic score called.. you guessed it "Singapore". Definitely one of the best museums of my life.

Headed back to the hotel to cool down before heading back out to the streets (this time with mom) for some more noodles and chopsticks. This time she even laughed at me! After dinner showed her the first of our 5000 photos which she actually enjoyed (probably the first of Ev's slideshow victims to actual enjoy it the whole way through).

The next morning we embarked on booking our train tickets to KL (what a hassle) and exploring Clarke's Quay (pronounced- key for our American readers). The quay was lovely and full of expensive restaurants and bars. The Singapore River runs right through the city here and makes for great pictures. Hit up the old ice cream man for "lunch" costing a whole dollar before booking our river cruise. I think the best views of this area are by boat. We passed the oldest quay full of short and rundown Chinese restaurants with the modern skyscrapers behind, the Fullerton Hotel-the old post office and ended up at the Merlion- the symbol of Singapore. It was a lovely day finished with getting lost in a huge indoor and underground shopping centre and more street food.

Up early this morning to catch our train to KL (Kuala Lumpur). The 7 hour journey took us through lush palm plantations and across the border to Malaysia. Finally arrived in KL and headed to our hostel which the taxi couldn't find! Not a great start in KL but we are flying out tomorrow so I don't think I have scarred the others too much! Had dinner at the local Malaysian spot around the corner for Nasi Goreng (fried rice), fresh fruit and smoothie like fruit drinks (yum!). Dinner for 3 for less than 5 pounds!

Tomorrow another early morning to catch our flight to Chiang Mai in northern Thailand.



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Old world meets new worldOld world meets new world
Old world meets new world

at the oldest quay on the Singapore river
Fullerton HotelFullerton Hotel
Fullerton Hotel

once the old post office and now the place to go for a taste of the colonial days


13th July 2008

Hi!!
Hey guys! I've been reading your updates... looks like a "world of fun"! :) It was so exciting to hear that you went to the Long Bar... Singapore Slings are one of my FAVORITE drinks! Stay safe and have tons of fun :)
18th July 2008

Singapore looks like fun.....if you are into cleanliness and all that jazz. Personally I prefer a nice aged yak rug. But that's just me.
23rd July 2008

beautiful!
Hey - what a beautiful city Singapore is. I thoroughly enjoyed all the pictures. I hope you enjoy Malasia!

Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 24; qc: 103; dbt: 0.1417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb