Extra Special Visa Run


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines
April 13th 2011
Published: May 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Jeepney Ride 19 secs
2: Crucifixion of Jesus 11 secs
3: Rural Transport 11 secs
4: Penance 22 secs
For video above, click on one of the four links above and to the right

It's time for another "visa-run" to extend my stay in Thailand.
This time my visa renewal coincides with
Songkran, the Thai New Year (which involves copious amounts of water and can be fun if you like
head-banging music and being
soaken-wet all week). See last years blog when I stayed in Chiang Mai for Songkran.
Per Chance, Easter is also in the next few weeks.
Also, my friend Bill is passing time in the Philippines.
Put them all together and it's an invitation to the Philippines.



From Chiang Mai I got a direct flight to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where I spent a couple of nights see previous blog then flew on to
infamous Angeles City in the Philippines. Angeles is the location of the previous Clark US Air Force Base which was closed after protests against US military bases in the Philippines. The Mount Pinatubo Volcano eruption and its aftermath was also a motivating factor for them to vacate the islands.




Philippines




Thanksgiving and Christmas are celebrated by expats in Chiang Mai but Easter is
Indigenous NegritoIndigenous NegritoIndigenous Negrito

(the fellow in the foreground is the indigenous one)
neglected. Are we all Buddhist?? However, with this
being the Year of The Rabbit according to the Chinese calendar it might be different. A combination of Year-of-the-Rabbit along with Bunny Rabbit Easter may be an excuse for the girls to dress up like PlayBoy Bunnies. I'd stay to see that.

Saturday, Day 1 of Philippines:
I arrived in Angeles City from Malaysia. The jeepney from the airport dropped me off at
the modern SM Mall. Wow! I thought, the Philippines has progressed nicely like some other Asian countries.
Stepping out of the Mall proved me to be oh so wrong. The poverty of The Philippines punched me in the face.
Street stores improvement involved a can of paint.
Roads have deteriorated over the years. Poverty on the strip is slightly hidden by the job prospects like
"7-Eleven clerk wanted, must have college degree". It shows what a college degree is worth here.
Or, "Dancers wanted: 200 Pesos ($5) per day", which is actually quite good but its not going to pay for a place to sleep unless you take one of the girls dormitories.
Better opportunities come if you're an entrepreneur, like a mamasan with 10 girls.

Lesser
monkey imitationmonkey imitationmonkey imitation

After making a monkey trap out of bamboo, he imitated how a monkey would get caught.
quality rooms and food, cost more than they should. Not-special rooms are about $20 per night.

But there are still a lot of expats about. Lots of bars. Lots of girls.

Bill, my friend, had given me the name of hotel where he had stayed. It didn't appeal to me so I went to another.

Sunday, Day 2:
Angeles City. Bill had told me he was coming back to Angeles to meet me but had
trouble finding out where I was. After checking his email at the cyber café he found out that he had
checked into the same hotel as me....right next room!

Monday, Day 3:
We decided to take a trip up the coast to Olongapo. We found a comfortable hotel
near the Olongapo bus station. Then we made some exploration of the area, in particular Subic Bay,
the old military base and Barrio Barretto.

Tuesday, Day 4:
Visitors receive a free 21 day entry visa upon arrival in the Philippines.
Bill was staying longer so we went looking for Immigration to receive an extension
to 59 days which is easy with a little bit of money.

It's interesting to see on
hkehkehke

Pamulaklakin Forest
the billboards around the Angeles City how the Gordon family has
monopolized politics in this city. Gordon SR and now Gordon JR with his wife and
his daughter have their name on everything. Well publisized on billboards everywhere.

Barrio Barretto is a short bus trip up the coast. But at one point when we
tried to walk to the waterfront where we were discouraged by a number of street people.
"I am the authority. There is No Entrance to beach here." What he hell
is going on down there that no outsiders are allowed?

We got on another bus and continued up the coast to San Antonio, Zambales.
That's where "D' Risin' Sun" bar, which was our introduction to San Antonio in 1979,
was located. Thirty plus years ago.
We could hardly recognize the place in this post-Pinatuba volcanic era. (photo)
However the lady serving drinks to some outside locals a few doors away told
us how she had taken over from Norma, the momasan when we were there,
after she emigrated to San Diego with her sailor husband .

Then we visited the house Bill had rented and I had shared for the first month, 30 years ago.
(see photo)
I had decided to move on after a month but had steered his next room mate there as I was leaving the Philippines
to continue my world tour. Bill regitered for a US-veteran course at a school nearby.

We found the FRA bar, (Fleet Reserve Association), to have a cold-one before moving on.
It turned out to be a popular place for some expats in the area. We were invited to see the
beach and jumped in the back of a
pickup truck to ride to the Royal Garden Bar at Punducket Beach.
There are some "resorts" in the area. In particular there's an Alberta themed one (The Wild Rose)
with maple leafs and a moose head located on the way to the bar.
Once we reached the Royal Garden Bar we sat and drank with a couple of guys who had
invested in land lots and building houses on them. The investment seemed highly overpriced but these guys
worked on the oil rigs off the coast and had excess money with a desire for a home base.

Wednesday, Day 5:
From our base in Olangapo we took a bus to
San
PunducketPunducketPunducket

One of the beaches near San Antonio. An expat community is growing here. Popular place on week-ends.
Marcelino with the intention of travelling to a Negrito Village and then to Binictican which was a city sunken in the lake.
Although the jeepney left 3 times a day it only returned once a day, early next morning. ???
Staying in a little Indigenous Negrito Village had little appeal. That's what
happens to your intrepid travelling nature as you get older. Having fun is more difficult as you get older.

After going back to Olongapo we decided to go on a forest hike in the Pamulaklakin Forest.
A guide is required which turned out to be a benefit.
He showed us stuff that all us guys should know: what tree fruit to burn at night to keep away mosquitoes; which bark to mix with water for stomach ache; where to get fresh water from vines.
Where to get the string for a bow,
what wood to make the handle of a knife with....on and on.
Afterwards, a group of teachers was being entertained by an indigenous Negrito, an Ati (Eti, Aeta, Dumagat) (see photo)... We joined in as spectators. The Negrfito had been featured on Discovery Channel.

Thursday, Day 6:
We left to go to Puerto Galera
Olongapo CityOlongapo CityOlongapo City

Town is controlled by Gordon family. Father, son, wife and daughter are pictured everywhere.
on the island of Mindoro.
But when we got to Manila and decided to stay a couple of nights before continuing. The first night at the Malate Pensionne. This used to be a popular backpackers place years ago. It still is but the backpackers are now more upscale and reservations are recommended (dorm $8/ rooms $17 to $23). Better places are available nearby.

The Overhead
Transport System is very functionable, although in rush hour it is a real cattle car.
The Ermita and Malate district which is popular with travellers is generally pretty run down, however,
The Robinson's Mall which was a regular department store the last time I was there had expanded
into a showcase mall. Across the road is the same as it was 30 years ago.



Friday, Day 7:
I had been to the Chinese Cemetery years before. We went again. (photos)
The place was a little run down compared to years before but still housed
luxurious mausoleums. The exrtravang is now surpassed by the Drug Barons in Latin America.
which people living in the neighbourhood would gladly occupy instead of their squalid
dwellings.

We were off to the SM Mall of
Philippino ketchupPhilippino ketchupPhilippino ketchup

NOTE label: "a banana blend"
Asia. This is Philippines largest mall. After some time
there we suffered the Rush Hour Crush in the LRT (their overhead rail system).
Even though we got on at the beginning of the line
it was skin-to-skin contact. Throughout the rest of the day it's not so crowded, like
most places in the world.

Saturday, Day 8:
Visited Harrison Mall, one of the first Manila Malls then outdoor Quiapo market, under the bridge (photo).

Leaving Manila:
We travelled by bus to Batangas then had to take a boat across to Mindoro Island. There is a lot of
confusion as you exit the bus at the ferry terminal. Lot of scammers approach gringos. Do your research
before arriving. The usual route to Mindoro is from Batangas, in southern Luzon, to Puerto Galera.
Be careful when you get off the bus at the Batangas pier, travellers are easy picking by touts

At Puerto Galera we got a nice place but they had been pre-booked for the Easter weekend so
after a few days ( see waterfall photos) we were force to go to Sabang Beaich. Actually it was a a nice
experience.
Sabang Beach accommodation wasn't pre-booked by Filipinos, unlike White Beach which is
a Filipino family destination. First we went to White Beach but places that weren't already booked were
doubling and tripling their rates for the holiday weekend.
Sabang Beach, on the other hand, is a gringo hang-out. Diving all day.
Girlie bars all night.

The room at Sabang Beach had a small kitchen to encourage longer stays.
I went Scuba Diving with "Blue Ribbon Divers" and it was great. We surfaced at one of
the floating bars where our banca picked us up to take us back to shore.
An interesting fact was that next week, news celebrities, Richard Neely and Allyson Dalton, a scuba diving couple who were accidentally abandoned then drifted near the Great Barrier Reef for 19 hours in 2008 before being rescued were booked to come here . I hope the Dive school doesn't have any practical jokers. The couple could be sent over the edge and end up drowning someone.





Back to Angeles City but unfortunately with a change of buses in Manila.
The passenger line up for buses was never ending. Fortunately, preferential treatment
allowed the two of us to get a bus
San Marcilino, ZambalesSan Marcilino, ZambalesSan Marcilino, Zambales

Hoping to get a ride to an indigenous Ati village
within the hour otherwise we'd still be standing in line. The day before Easter Weekend is BUSY! Everyone is going home.

Tomorrow is Good Friday, when Jesus was crucified. This is when we planned to head to San Fernando and
see the re-enactments of the crucifixion. see photos.





Iglesia ni Cristo:
The churches of Iglesia ni Cristo rate among the most beautiful architecture in the Philippines (photo).
This is the largest independent church in Asia and originated here in the Philippines as an alternative to Roman Catholicism. The Catholic church is against the new reform bill being debated. It permits
education of birth control as well as forbidding abortion and contraception. It would be wise for the
government to help the poor people that are being forced to raise large families they don't want and can't afford. The health of the families suffer and it contributes to rampant crime in the ghettos.





At one time Thailand (Buddhist) and Philippines (Roman Catholic) had the same
population. Now, Thailand has 65 million and Philippines has 97 million.The Reproductive Health Bill which supports Birth Control Information has been dividing the Philippines. Most
Cigarette AdvertisingCigarette AdvertisingCigarette Advertising

Marlboros for Sale. Three "sticks" (cigarettes) for 5 Pesos ie.10¢
people in the Philippines are very poor and cannot support large families.
The families suffer a unbearable lifestyle burden. The controversial bill is being debated again. It would introduce
birth control and sex education in schools. The Catholic church is fighting it. When you see 2 year olds
sleeping on the sidewalk at night you can't help asking "why?".





From Bangkok Post, February 10, 2011:
In the Philippines 25% live on less than $1 per day. This is the poverty line as defined by UN.
After WW II, the Philippines looked like it was to be the success story of Asia. For some reason
probably a government that looked after itself more than its people, that never happened.





Saturday and Sunday were uneventful.
Some evening experimenting with the local brews. Colt 45 is the strongest beer but
can be remembered the next morning. Red Horse is not quite as strong but doesn't
seem as smooth as San Miguel which although the least potent, had the smoothest
taste. Monday I returned to Malaysia before
catching my flight to Thailand the next day.

Bill went back to northern Luzon to wait
Manila street cornerManila street cornerManila street corner

Poor Philippines
for his flight home.

All in all, a worthwhile trip.





If you've heard the happy, sing-song accent of girls in the Philippines you'll enjoy this:

When I checked into a hotel the girl asked me:
Morning! rune sor-bees.
July Santos?
No, thank you.
Why Jew Don Juan toes?
I can't understand.
Jewish to odour sunteen?
I'd like some eggs.
Aches? How July them?
Huh?
How July them?..Pry, boy, pooch..?

The above was pointed out to me at Martguerita Bar, Angeles City.

It's a great place when your ears adjust.
It sounds so cute that you just want to hug them like a little child.



ASIDE:
If Jesus had been killed 20 years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little Electric Chairs around their necks instead of crosses. - Lenny Bruce





The Ermita and Makati section of Manila which houses lots of gringos looks like Calcutta did
25 years ago. Lots of men, women and children sleeping on the dirty streets. I particularly
remember a little 2 year old sleeping on some cardboard with no one around. The mother
must have just left it
CrucifixionCrucifixionCrucifixion

San Fernando, Pampanga
there for awhile.

As of June 2011, now that Malta has permitted divorce, only the Philippines and the Vatican
forbid divorce.

LOOK AT PHOTOS ON THE FOLLOWING 3 PAGES FOR MORE OF THE PHILIPPINES





Not to Forget Thaiand:

news from Thailand




Keeping up with news from Thailand via www.ThaiVisa.com:
Item
A 51-year-old Norwegian resident of Pattaya, Mr Per Christian Lindgaard, was found dead in his apartment in the New Nordic Village complex in Soi 4 off Pratamnak Road recently. The body was found some three days after the deceased was seen taking a snake into his room, along with a glass case. It was a cobra. He apparently intended to keep the snake as a pet.





Item
A woman who was forced to have oral sex by her estranged husband bit off his penis. In the ensuing fight the husband, stabbed her in the arm, but she managed to grab the knife and stabbed him in the abdomen. He died from his injuries shortly afterwards. He was a senior official at the Ministry of Defense
Pattaya, Thailand 19 December 2010



Bangkok Post, May 9, 2011
Follow
jd easterjd easterjd easter

San Fernando
up on the deaths of seven
people at the Downtown Inn Hotel in Chiang Mai:
An independent New Zealand study on a 23 year old N.Z. girl who died
suspect the cause as being a pesticide, chlorpyrifos, used to kill bed bugs in Thailand. The Thai authorities reject this .





You've GOT to scroll through the remaining photos on the next page

CLICK ON ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE



NOTE: SCROLL DOWN AND LOOK AT NEXT THREE PAGES OF


PHOTOS FROM PHILIPPINES




Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 32


Advertisement

Good Friday, 2011Good Friday, 2011
Good Friday, 2011

Better him than me.
CrucifixionCrucifixion
Crucifixion

That is going to leave a mark
Nailed to the CrossNailed to the Cross
Nailed to the Cross

The nails are quite slender at the point and are positioned in the hand by a medical person.
Razor blade brushRazor blade brush
Razor blade brush

Seems like as good a way as any to share blood diseases among friends.
FlagellateFlagellate
Flagellate

Ooo! Those pagan religions....Hey! wait, this is Christianity???


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb