Chiang Mai Hiking - 2011


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Lamphun
December 20th 2011
Published: December 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Hike 10 secs
Beginning of trek....8amBeginning of trek....8amBeginning of trek....8am

Longest train tunnel in Thailand in background.
Weekend of November 19th/20th 2011:

Hike and Overnight Stay in Khun Tan National Park.
We caught the 6:45 am train and arrived at Khun Tan

about 8am where we started the hike.

The hike and day went well.

At the beginning of the hike where you pay for the night and are able to pickup eats if you want, there was an interesting incident. I saw an employee of the canteena sweeping' what at first looked like a small snake away from the toilets. Then I saw it was a large centipede. These can cause a painful bite. Buddhists aren't going to kill anything when others are watching. He kept on sweeping this creature out of the toilet area but it seemed determined to return. Finally the fellow gave it a long sweep with his broom...right into the lawn where people were paying to camp for the night. I hope everyone zips their tent up constantly and is careful where they step especially at night going to the toilet. There was a tent of three Mennonite girls taking some time off. Taking time off from what you may ask. Wel, I talked to the eldest and they don't proselytize but do offer practical education. They were in the field of then newly introduced centipede and I didn't know whether to alarm them or not.

Our group made it to the summit and took a photo.

That night after a bon-fire and marshmellow roast everyone turned in at bout 9pm. The Thai girls couldn't figure out the proper way to "fire" marshmellows. Where was the wok and the fish sauce? This was a new experience for anyone not from the Americas.

We had 2 dormitory cabins and the fresh cool quiet of a natural

night allowed me the best sleep I had in a long time. I love sleeping in the fresh air at night (as long as there are no mossies)

Some people had problems with "big mice" running over them

at night and couldn't experience a deep sleep. Maybe I slept too well. A few days later I discovered a well fed tick in my belly button either from the dogs or the wild pigs in the area. On the next hike a couple of Infectious Disease doctors said not to worry. I knew there was no Lyme Disease in Asia but Rickettsial infections were possible. I developed a rash, whether coincidently or not, I ran to the pharmacy and took a dosage treatment just in case.



Great week-end. see photos, click any photo for larger version





Sunday December 4th, 2011:

Leisurely stroll around reservoir at San Kamphaeng.

We met at the train station at 8am then car-pooled and

travelled to the reservoir.






Wednesday December 7th, 2011:
Walk up Pilgrim's Trail to Wat Palaad - 278 m altitude gain over 2.4 km. Max slope 26.3 %!,(MISSING) average slope 12.8 %!-(MISSING)

and then back down
through Huay Kaeow Waterfall. see photos Easy 6 km walk in total.








Friday December 9th, 2011:

Ob Khan National Park, area of Hang Dong.
Circular hike of 4.5 to 6 km through beautiful forest and alongside the Nam Mae Khan.
Swim in the fast cold river provided a refreshing ending to the sweaty hike. Beautiful canon views.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Ob Khan National ParkOb Khan National Park
Ob Khan National Park

Hike on December 9, 2011
HikeHike
Hike

San Kamphaeng Reservoir


Tot: 0.403s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb