Port Barton


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Palawan » Port Barton
January 13th 2007
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another early start to the bus station where there was what looked like a reasonably comfy van going to San Vincente, so we hopped on thinking it'd be easy enough to transfer to Port Barton when we got there. We got the front seats so thought we were going to be comfy all the way till the driver and his pal jumped in too! There were 4 of us in the front! I don't know how the driver managed it. The roof rack was stacked several feet high with all sorts of things including a 22" flat screen tv (there was no way that would work when we arrived). The first part of the journey was on a tarmac road and it was fairly smooth. Palawan is quite hilly and very green. The next part was on a dirt track and fairly hairy in places.

There was not a lot in San Vincente but we managed to find someone who would sail us to Port Barton once we had waded out to his boat. The journey was beautiful.

Port Barton was just what we had been looking for, a big white empty beach. There were about 8 'hotels' along the beach consisting of a few small 'Nipa' huts and a couple of bars. The locals kept telling us how busy it was but to us it was super quiet. We changed huts after the first night, moving along to the even quieter end of the beach where we woke to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore each morning or could admire the view from the many hammocks.

We went out island hopping round the bay and snorkelling from the boat. The coral here had been damaged by El Nino but to us it looked quite healthy. Some of the 'bushes' were huge.

All of the people we met here were friendly and we spent more time talking to other travellers than we had done in the whole trip up till now.

We found just-hatched baby turtles on the beach and helped them into the water. Some of them didn't want to go and came straight back out, heading towards the lights of the beach bars! They were so sweet!

We met a Danish family who were hoping to go on to El Nido at the same time as us so we arranged to share a van-taxi. It arrived early in the morning from Puerto Princesa to take us with 1 flat tyre and 4 bald tyres. We took one look at it and sent it home again! It wouldn't have been safe on a good road bever mind the hilly dirt track to El Nido. It meant we had an extra day of soaking up the tranquility in Port Barton - no great hardship to us.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



20th May 2007

Inquiry on Port Barton transpo
Hi. I'd like to ask at what time should I be at the terminal to catch the van going to Port Barton?

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb