Honoring Americans Who Died in WW II’s Philippine Theater – Manila, Philippines


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Luzon » Metro Manila
February 26th 2024
Published: March 1st 2024
Edit Blog Post

Tour Day 140, Cruise Day 38 – Manila, Philippines – Author’s Note: José Protasio Rizal Mercado y Alonso Realonda ((1861–1896) is considered a Philippine national hero for advocating political reforms for the colony under Spanish rule. His writings inspired the Philippine Revolution, and he was executed by the Spanish colonial government for the crime of rebellion.

“Best of Manila: Past & Present” Shore Excursion – Discover Manila, the Philippines' capital city and premier gateway to the country. Your tour begins with a trip through the Makati area, the financial and commercial center of Manila. The first stop is at the American Memorial Cemetery, the largest and perhaps the most beautiful outside continental United States. Pass through the plush residential village of Forbes Park dubbed Millionaire's Row, and continue your drive down Roxas Boulevard by the fabled Manila Bay. Drive through the Cultural Center of the Philippines complex, on reclaimed land situated along Roxas Boulevard -- entirely reminiscent of the glory years of the Marcoses. A drive through the complex starts with a glance of the Cultural Center of the Philippines, the country's seat of cultural awareness. Then move on to the Philippine International Convention Center and Folk Arts Theater, which are favorite venues for both local and international events, concerts and performances. Adjacent to the structures are the Coconut Palace, a building made mostly of coconut materials, and the Sofitel Philippine Plaza, a deluxe hotel with a magnificent view of Manila Bay. Lunch is served at the Diamond Hotel. Take a step back in time as you discover the charms of Old Manila. At Rizal Park, the remains of the country's national hero, Dr Jose Rizal, lie within the Rizal Monument. Continue to the old walled city of Intramuros, built during the Spanish colonial period. You'll stop at Fort Santiago, which served as headquarters of the military might of the Spanish, American and Japanese colonists until its destruction in 1945. Lastly, visit to San Augustin Church, the oldest structure in the Philippines dating back to 1571.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



1st March 2024

The Master of the Traveling Pen
Larry, you have gotten really good at this! And what was it?
2nd March 2024

Practice, practice, practice!
Hey Bruce, thanks for the kind words.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb