First Post


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Daet
December 3rd 2009
Published: December 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone,

I figured it would probably be easiest to start a travel blog that I can update from time to time, rather than wait until I have enough stories for an entire email. Plus it will give you all something to check while youre at work!

Currently I am in the Philippines, in the province of Camarines Norte. Just outside the capital of Daet, in a tiny tiny rice farming village on the ocean. There are some really good waves, but this is also still typhoon season, so there is some pretty good wind/rain that can rear its ugly head. There are some really good waves though, and I am looking forward to the end of January, when, we have been told, the wind turns offshore and the swell keeps comin. Aside from the waves, the surrounding country is beautiful. Basically just huge expanses of rice fields with palm trees breaking up the horizon and little bamboo huts to remind you that people actually live here. Makes for some great sunsets, thats for sure.

Getting around (transportation) out here is quite interesting. To get out of our little "barangay," or tiny ass village in english, to the nearest, haha, i hesitate to say suburb, we typically take a tricycle. A tricycle is a 125 cc motorcycle with a tiny side car and roof assembly bolted on the side. The side car barely fits two americans, but there are regularly 3-4 locals in it. when that fills up the top/back/sides of side car are also open for "seating." I think my favorite is riding above the wheel, hanging off the side of the side car. or on top, thats pretty sweet too...except the bugs in your teeth. I think the most I have seen a single trike transport is about 10 people...all essentially riding on a 125 cc bike. its great fun. From the "suburb" we then take a jeepney. this is a really long jeep with chrome and crazy paint jobs. I really cant do it justice by describing it, maybe I can post some pics soon...if youre really chomping at the bit to see one, do a google image search for "Daet jeepney." hopefully you'll get some pics that have a jeepney with a picture of jesus on them, or at least an "I <3 Jesus." From our house (hut on the beach) to where we want to go, a distance of about 3-5 miles, it takes a solid hour. Aaaaah, third world island countries. its a good thing Ive got no where to be!

Well, until next time. Im getting hungry and I should probably go lay around and stare at the beach a little more!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb