Verdant and Azure Gem that is Catanduanes


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Catanduanes » Virac
March 1st 2018
Published: March 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Catanduanes


Whenever a typhoon is about to enter the Philippine Area of Responsibility, you will likely hear or read about Catanduanes in the news. It is no surprise since the island faces the Philippine Sea and the Pacific Ocean. It has become a gateway of typhoons, hence, earning the monicker "The Land of the Howling Winds."

Catanduanes is an island province in the Bicol Region located on the eastern part of the Philippines. Despite being on the path of typhoon, the island is teeming with bounties of Mother Nature.

There are two airlines that fly to Catanduanes. Philippine Airlines flies from Clark International Airport thrice a week while Cebu Pacific Air flies from Ninoy Aquino International Airport four times a week.

It would probably take around five days or maybe even a week to see a little of everything that the province has to offer. But if you are pressed for time, then three days would suffice for an initial blast of the island.

Virac is the capital town where the airport and one of the province's shipping ports are located. Getting around Virac means riding the TRAYSI, a three-wheeled motorized vehicle (tricycle) that can accommodate around six
Verdant Gem that is CatanduanesVerdant Gem that is CatanduanesVerdant Gem that is Catanduanes

Aerial view of Catanduanes from the Bombardier plane of Philippine Airlines.
to seven persons. However, there is no stopping people from top-loading so don't be surprised when you see a moving human Christmas tree around.

For short distances, there is the SIDECAR, a three-wheeled vehicle on pedals with the framed seat attached to the side of a bicycle.

Then there is the JEEPNEY or VAN to get from one town to the next. However, trips are limited so it is best to take note of the first and last trips for a particular route. But fret not, for there is the traysi which you can rent in your own sweet time.

In the upcoming posts, I will share more about Catanduanes, the places I have been to, the dishes I have devoured and the locals I met who are kind-hearted and generous.

For the weekend trip, I only visited the towns of Virac, Baras, Bato and San Andres but these four towns, no doubt, will make you fall in love with the island. Here's a glimpse of the verdant and azure gem that is Catanduanes.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb