Touchdown Virac


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Catanduanes » Virac
March 1st 2018
Published: March 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Virac, Catanduanes


Virac is the capital of the island province of Catanduanes. It is a big town covering sixty-three barangays or villages.

Upon touchdown, we (my group) made our way out of the airport and walked a few meters to Kemji Resort and Restaurant where we were billeted for the duration of our trip. We had breakfast while planning our trip with some locals we've been introduced to. Then, it was time to explore a bit of the town.

Getting around Virac means taking the traysi, the main mode of transportation in town. Our first stop was the Virac Cathedral or the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. Renovation was underway and a new section was being added to the edifice, making the structure of the cathedral a mix of the old and new.

Just across the cathedral is the plaza and the municipal hall beyond that. Later, we found ourselves in the public market. Whenever I travel, I try to visit the local market to get the vibe of the place. Vegetables, fruits, pasalubong (souvenir) items, handicraft s, housewares, dried fish and rice cakes are just some of the many goods for sale.

Just a short distance from the public market is the Virac Town Center, a low level shopping arcade with a a garden and concert stage where a live band performs at night.

Virac is also home to the Catanduanes State University, a public university which started as the Virac National and Agricultural Trade School. It offers courses in Engineering, Agriculture, Business and Education. It has two campuses, one in Panganiban in the northern part of the island and the main campus in Virac.

After that little tour of Virac, we found ourselves lounging in our accommodation to get a much needed rest before embarking on an adventure in the other towns of Catanduanes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Kemji Resort and RestaurantKemji Resort and Restaurant
Kemji Resort and Restaurant

Literally a walk from the airport.
Virac CathedralVirac Cathedral
Virac Cathedral

Cathedral of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. The town fiesta is celebrated every December 7 and 8.
Auspicious Night at Virac Town CenterAuspicious Night at Virac Town Center
Auspicious Night at Virac Town Center

Weekend night post-Valentine and Lunar Year celebrations


1st October 2019
Kemji Resort and Restaurant

Information provision and payment methods
I am thinking of staying with 4 adults in April 2020. Please tell us the reservation method, the best room and the price per night
1st October 2019
Kemji Resort and Restaurant

Best to email or call the hotel/resort staff.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb