Magnficent Beaches, Adorable Tarsiers, Stylish Resorts, & Wonderful People - The Philippines!


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Bohol » Panglao
January 28th 2010
Published: January 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

ADORABLE Tarsier!ADORABLE Tarsier!ADORABLE Tarsier!

This was THE most amazing little guy! They are REALLY tiny and darling and their eyes are SO big. LOVE THEM!
Ben and I were privileged to travel from Cambodia to the Philippines for an incredible week of exploration. We enjoyed unique sites, thrilling jeepney rides, the most gorgeous beaches, super-adorable tarsiers, fabulous diving, stylish resorts, delicious food, and, of course, many warm and joyful new friends! We spent three days in Manila and then flew down to Bohol to spend another four days at the Ananyana Beach Resort on Panglao Island. We traveled with two of my fellow social workers for a retreat, so while Ben dove most days, I spent time with incredible Filipino and Cambodian social workers, sharing stories, skills, and encouragement.

We were only supposed to be in Manila for one day, but since we were travleing during rainy season, a massive storm kept us there for three days. We ended up having so much fun in Manila! We toured old churches, window shopped at massive malls, visited street-markets, and took a thousand pictures of jeepneys, the old WWII U.S. military jeeps that are now painted vibrant with vibrant colors and scenes. The backs are open and they barely stop enough for people to pile in and then they zoom off to the next stop. So fun!!
Jeepneys!Jeepneys!Jeepneys!

The old WWII jeeps now taxis that are colorfully personalized. All so unique or fun!
We took them around and laughed a lot trying to get on and off. I also have to admit that we also spent quite a bit of time at Starbucks after going without in Cambodia for the past year 😉.

The flight down to Bohol was awesome...we started to see the incredible islands covered in lush greenery (it was rainy season!), clear blue and turquoise water, white beaches. We were getting super giddy and giggly 😊. The weather was perfect from the moment we landed! The drive out to Panglao island was fun. There were super tiny taxis with verses and joyful statements about God's love, lush green hills and curvy roads, interesting homes and boats. The hotel we stayed at was at the far south end of the island and a little isolated, but since we were there for a retreat, it worked out fine.

The Ananyana resort was AMAZING. Super stylish, FUN, gorgeous rooms with outdoor bathrooms (but fancy and modern and super stylish!!). I want to shower outside all the time (in the tropics)!! The most amazing beach right out your doorstep with towering palms shading the sand. The dive boat pulled up right at
The Dream Come True...The Dream Come True...The Dream Come True...

Yes, the water really is THIS gorgeous!
the resort to pick up Ben in the morning! The food was perfectly delicious and it was so fun to have our meetings outside under the palms, over-looking the gorgeous water. The water was just like you imagine a tropical beach to be...clear turquoise, shallow enough to wade out for 100 yards before it turned to deep blue, and then you looked back at lush palsm bending over towards the water and sun. Amazing....God is a magnficent artist and his creation is awe-inspiring....

We also spent some time driving into Bohol and went to the Tarsier Sanctuary. I was VERY excited to visit these little guys. Their population as been decimated around the world, but can still be found in the Philippines, Sulawesi, Borneo, and Sumatra. Animal conservation groups have been trying to restore their population, but it's been difficult to do. One site having success at restoring tarsier populations is in Bohol. The Philippine Tarsier Foundation has developed a large semi-wild enclosure that uses lights to attract the nocturnal insects that make up the tarsier's diet. We got to take a walking tour and the guide pointed out where the Tarsiers were hanging out in the trees. You should definitely visit this sanctuary and PLEASE pay them more than the small $5 entrance fee!

And that's all the touristy highlights, I suppose. I had a wonderful time at my retreat with fellow social workers...wonderful women and men who are faithfully and passionately serving those recovering from sexual violence and trafficking, and advocating for protection of women and children. We were grateful for the opportunity to visit the Phillipines and spend time with such wonderful people!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb