Kickin' it in Krabi & Ao Nang!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
September 7th 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ready to Dive inReady to Dive inReady to Dive in

Ben with his dive shirt checking out the gorgeous Krabi coastline...
Wow, we had an amazing holiday in Krabi! NOW I know why people go to Thailand (I have to admit that I am partial to Cambodia & Vietnam)! It was absolutely one of the most beautiful beach areas we have been to. The rock formations, the lush landscapes, the mangrove forests, the beautiful beaches and water...all incredibly gorgeous. I've been really slow putting up these photos...we actually went to Krabi awhile ago - in May2008! But the good memories are still hanging around and I am excited to share these photos with you.
The seascape and rock formations were amazing. I really can't emphasize this enough! I'd seen pictures, but didn't really think it would be as beautiful, or that there would be so many (and so huge and different) rock formations out in the water! You could just lay on the beach and have this amazing world to watch...no boring "just water" views here! It was interesting to talk with the Thai residents we met about how the coastline is growing and what has changed since the tsunami.
Ok, I know it sounds extravagant, but we were celebrating and we found an amazing deal on a hotel from Agoda.com (awesome
Can I live here, please?Can I live here, please?Can I live here, please?

Can you imagine living in these gorgeous homes with this amazing view?????
site - hotel prices are sometimes over 1/2 off!). We stayed at the Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort. It's about 10 minutes north (up the coastline) from the main beach town, Ao Nang. It is a little out of the way of the main town excitement, but during high tourist season (when the town is overrun and loud), this would be a heavenly retreat. The Sofitel also has the largest pool in SE Asia. The food and the amenities are expensive, but if you really need a total escape retreat, this would be the place to go! We just ate at smaller, Thai places in Ao Nang and bought groceries so we wouldn't have to pay for the expensive stuff at the Sofitel.
There are super cheap, just fine spots in downtown Ao Nang (and on the only-get-there-by-boat Railey Beach) which we will probably stay at next time. If you do stay at the out-of-the-way spots, like the Sofitel, you can rent a scooter for $5-$7 per day and that is SO fun! Then you can cruse the gorgeous country roads by yourselves and get to know the little towns and roads.
Ok, enough about hotels. Let's talk
Into the mangrove forest...Into the mangrove forest...Into the mangrove forest...

Kayking into the mangrove forests north of Krabi. Gorgeous...definitely take a morning to do this!
food! It is wonderful everywhere, of course. Delicious Thai food, along with japanese, korean, italian, irish pub food, etc. We ate lots of seafood and fruit smoothies. I put in a photo of our FAVORITE smoothie shop....the best! It was along the beach boardwalk in AoNang (the road that goes along the beach that no cars can drive on...only walkers and scooters).
I went kayaking one day in the Mangrove forests. This was so fun and so gorgeous. The cliffs and rock formations were majestic from so close and the forests were fascinating. We ran into tons of monkeys! I would DEFINITELY recommend this to anyone going to Krabi. Get to know the landscape outside of the beaches!
Ben and I also went diving one day. It was super cloudy and stormy (we went during the non-tourist early rainy season which we love) but the sky was beautiful and it made the rock formations look huge with crazy shadows. We were on a huge boat and went with Ao Nang Divers. They were great!! Ben enjoyed the diving and saw reef sharks, lion fish, sea snakes, and a bunch of other fun fish. I just snorkled 😊.
So, all in
Majestic Rock FormationsMajestic Rock FormationsMajestic Rock Formations

These are all over the seascape as we head out to go diving...
all, a gorgeous, relaxing, romatic place. We had a great time and a fun break away from Cambodia (which we love equally as much) 😊.


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Pineapple...a Monkey's Favorite FruitPineapple...a Monkey's Favorite Fruit
Pineapple...a Monkey's Favorite Fruit

When we were kayaking, our guides gave pineapple to the monkeys...see the juicy spray of the pineapple juice as the monkey caught it??
Our Favorite Smoothie Spot!Our Favorite Smoothie Spot!
Our Favorite Smoothie Spot!

The best fruit smoothies ever (with no nasty dairy or powders or sugar overdoses like the grody U.S. versions). On the walking-path road on the beach in Ao Nang.
Smoothie Lady!Smoothie Lady!
Smoothie Lady!

Ben had to visit twice a day for the pineapple banana. I'm a mango or pineapple/strawberry girl :)
Launching Point!Launching Point!
Launching Point!

This is where our kayaking tour guides launched our tour...we are now out in the water.
Kayaking GuideKayaking Guide
Kayaking Guide

He was great and knew all about the flowers, forests, monkeys, rock formations, etc.
Headed into the Mangrove ForestsHeaded into the Mangrove Forests
Headed into the Mangrove Forests

The light through the trees and the rocks and the forest was beautiful! It was SO quiet and peaceful. Just the gliding of the kayaks and the sounds of the birds and monkeys.
Pit StopPit Stop
Pit Stop

Our kayak group stopped in this inlet for a pineapple/mango break. We also played with the monkeys...they were everywhere!


13th September 2009

Krabi
Great post! I'm heading to Krabi for the first time this January and your post made me all the more enthusiastic about the trip. Thanks for sharing. Jennifer
17th October 2009

Thanks, Jennifer!
Have a great trip! :) We wish we could go back!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb