The Gokyo Trek, the alternative to Everest Base Camp


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
November 22nd 2022
Published: November 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

For most trekkers going to Nepal, Base Camp Everest is the ultimate destination. Not so strange, because Mount Everest is the highest point on earth. Because of this enormous popularity, it is also very crowded. If you don't like the crowds but you do want to enjoy the overwhelming landscape of the Himalayas, then the Gokyo region is a very good alternative.

About the Gokyo region

The Gokyo Ri, also known as Gokyo Peak, is a mountain peak 5,357 high. It is located in the Khumbu region in the Nepalese part of the Himalayas. The mountain is located west of the famous Ngozumpa glacier. This is the largest glacier of the Himalayas.

The hamlet of Gokyo which has only a few houses is one of the highest mountain villages in the world. It lies at an altitude of 4,750 meters at the foot of Gokyo Ri. From Gokyo Ri you have a view of four 8,000-meter peaks. Besides Mount Everest, you can also see Makalu, Cho Oyu and Lhotse. You also have a nice view of the Gokyo Lakes.

The trek there is very spectacular. The two week trek goes through the valley west of Everest to the village of Gokyo and to the five sacred lakes near the Ngozumpa glacier. You get almost as high as the Everest Base Camp Trek. You also get fantastic views of Mount Everest.

The advantage of Gokyo trek is that it is much quieter. On the way you will pass through traditional Sherpa villages. Here you can enjoy delicious local dishes. The trek runs along the Dudhkoshi River towards the beautiful green colored lakes, where the river originates. The Sherpa village of Gokyo is located on the largest lake. From here you have a phenomenal view of the surrounding mountains and the overwhelming nature.

As on almost all trekkings in the Himalayas, you stay overnight in traditional teahouses. Although you can stay overnight and enjoy a hearty meal, do not expect any luxury.

The best time for the Gokyo trek is spring or September. The winter period offers opportunities but then the weather conditions are much worse. The summer months are much less popular due to the monsoon rains.

That's how you get there

From our country there are weekly flights to Kathmandu airport. You always have a stopover. Remember that it can be very busy at the airport. Should it happen that your flight is delayed or canceled, do not forget to claim compensation. From Kathmandu airport you fly on to Lukla, from where your trekking adventure starts.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb