Heading into the Tsum valley


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
March 30th 2018
Published: April 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 Chistopani – Chumling



Another longish day ahead of us so decided to leave at 6.00am.

Up and packed and left the village, a bit up and down but nothing too strenuous. Passed through the village of Ekle Bhatti, which means single house in Nepalese but is actually about four houses.

About 45 minutes after Ekle Bhatti came to split in the path where the Manaslu Circuit and Tsum Valley go their separate ways. Given this is the entry to the mystical Tsum Valley it was a bit underwhelming, a simple sign pointing the two directions.

We took the right turn and almost immediately the nature of the trail changed, steep up and equally steep downs with very little flat. We are gaining about 800m in altitude today but probably actually went up 5 hakas (1600m) and down about half of that.

Heading up the Tsum Valley we follow the Shiar Khola which runs in a very steep narrow gorge. The paths were often narrow with enormous drops on the outside, you really did need to keep your wits about you as it was pretty unforgiving in places. The views up and down the river gorge were, however, spectacular. Photos just can’t do justice to this landscape, everything is so big.

The trail to Lokpa was longer than expected and it was a welcome sight when we finally saw it ahead. Stopped there for breakfast, again omelettes and Tibetan bread washed down with lemon tea.

Then after breakfast off again for more up and down (Nepalese flat) before arriving at the swing bridge over the river. Again spectacular views from the bridge then a really long climb, about a Haka, up to Chumling. We were all pretty had it by the time we got there.

It’s noticeably colder here and we’ve had to break out the puffer jackets and merinos.

Really interesting village. Went for a long walk around and on one side there is a sheer drop to a river below of about 150m with the path running right along side, not a place for fear of heights!

Gordy touched one of the stinging nettles that are along the sides of the track. Himal told him he needed to blow his nose on it as apparently snot fixes them. He opted for the Voltaren gel option which also seemed to work as the pain went almost immediately.

Dal Baht for everyone for dinner, great!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb