Arrived


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
September 28th 2011
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 27.5071, 83.4467

We made the journey down from Kathmandu to Bhairawa in a private car owned by the company that a friend from Australia used to work for. This was a blessing as we had made enquiries about a tourist bus and were told not available for another 15 days. Hmm!!

Anyway I contacted a friend locally and they had a car going immediately so we packed our gear and threw our stuff in the back of a ute and sat tight for the next 8 hours.

Our driver was a hoot, a musso no doubt, with wild curly hair and mirrored sunglasses who sung all the way down in English to everything from ACDC to Brian Adams, which considering he spoke little or no English was funny really. To his credit however he was a very skilled driver and most likely a reincarnation of Peter Brock. The road down was like those roads as seen on the recent TV Documentary and I sat wondering why it was necessary that we approached every corner at such speed that we were on the brink of loosing traction and squealed around the corners. Please don't get the feeling we are ungrateful as the alternative of 12 hours on a public buses with the amount of gear we had to stop from loosing was definitely not an option really. Public Buses tend to be the favourite work place of the pickpockets and petty thieves.

We have been here a couple of days now and Darren has just melted. We managed to get a hotel room with air conditioning which is great however electricity is random and the look of horror on Darren's face is difficult to put into words when the lights and power go off.

I made our first domestic purchase today. An electric jug which should allow me to make tea without milk or sugar. Hurray. Black tea in Aus often comes with milk on the side and it is possible to ignore it but here it is already integrated. The salesman did test it for us in the shop to show it works which was encouraging, it did not come with any warranty nor a power rating and seems to take a long time to boil but on the positive cost about $4.50 so I guess I am a satisfied customer.

Darren's breakfast has been a bit of a laugh. Toast with Jam we thought should be a pretty safe option to order. Well first day no butter and yes we did not ask for butter also. Second day a little wiser Darren requested Toast, Butter and Jam. Two slices of toasted bread arrived one with Jam the other with butter. Silly us we did not ask for both on the same slice of Toast. Tomorrow we should have had it all worked out.

I have been into the office and met the staff. My first day lasted about an hour, second day about 2 hours and now the office is closed for 10 days for the Dashan festival. We thus are off to Chitawan National Park to sit and look at the jungle. I doubt there are many animals to see but the time out will suit us.

Advertisement



5th October 2011

nothing like a good cup of black tea and a tad of sugar and maybe a little lay down
6th October 2011

Unsure about the tad of sugar, at least a table spoon and a little cardamon. I recon it is nice will need to watch the waist line
6th October 2011

Well, you do complain when you don't get exactly what you asked for ... so toast ... butter .... jam....I just love their logic - tee hee!!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb