Change of plans


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
March 14th 2010
Published: March 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Last night we drove to Lumbini, the birthplace of Buddha. There was a special festival next to our hotel last night for the dedication of new Krishna temple area. Singing and dancing and play acting of Krishna, Rudra and Gopi girls. very interesting (and very loud). This morning we visited Buddha's birthplace and stuppas. Surrounding this area are Buddhist monastaries from all over the world.
We were supposed to go to Chitwa National Park today for a safari. However, there was a Maoist strike that closed the road to Chitwa so we decided to go to Pokhara instead. The trip was very scenic, driving through mountain villages with incredible views. We hope to return to Chitwa the day after tomorrow if things have settled down.
Tonight we had dinner at an outdoor Nepalese restaurant next to the lake while enjoying traditional Nepalese music and dancing. The last dance of the evening I was asked to dance with one of the dancers and tried to follow her moves.
Tomorrow morning we rise very early for a short drive and hike to watch the sun rise over the Annapurna mountains. It is supposed to be breathtaking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

tree where Buddha was born in Lumbinitree where Buddha was born in Lumbini
tree where Buddha was born in Lumbini

Buddhist come from all over the world on pilgrimages here
riding on bus roof through Nepal mountainsriding on bus roof through Nepal mountains
riding on bus roof through Nepal mountains

This was a lot of fun! Looking at river and deep ravine below... rode on top for about 5 miles
lunch at mountain village restaurantlunch at mountain village restaurant
lunch at mountain village restaurant

rice, dahl and curried vegetables ... very tasty.
Nepalese childrenNepalese children
Nepalese children

taken during afternoon walk near mountain village


15th March 2010

Mountain View
You know how much I love the mountains. What spectacular pics. I used one of the programs that lets you see where you are anywhere on earth. Looked up your location. I saw you waving. :) Hope you get to visit the park. Almost Happy Birthday!!!!

Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb