The hardest 4 days of my life


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
November 10th 2008
Published: November 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are in Pokhara, recovering after our 4 day trek, we arrived in Pokhara last Wednesday, and after Kathmandu it was definetely a nice change, it is so much more layed back here, and we are right on a lake, it is quieter, and surrounded by snow capped mountains, it really is beautiful here, and the food is great, and I am loving the Nepali staple Dhal Bhat.
We started our trek on Thursday morning, with a 2 hour bus ride to the starting point, from here we walked for 4 hours, with a stop at a village for lunch. The treks here are very touristy, so we often passed other trekkers along the way. We stayed at a tea house over night, in a small village, tea houses are basic accomodation with resteraunts, very cheap, with great food.
Day 2 of the trek was much harder, and mostly up hill, the legs were certainly feeling it after 6 hours, but the views made it all worth the effort. We stayed in a village called Ghorepani, which is the last stop before Poon Hill, here there was more hotels, tea houses, and bookshops, our rom here was very basic, but the views of the alps out the window made up for that.
Day 3 we started up Poon Hill at 5am, along with most of the village it seemed, finally reaching the top at around 6am to watch the sun rise, Dominic was not well and was carried to the top by our Porter, which would have been an effort in itself. After many pictures and great views of the alps, including the 8th highest mountain in the world we began our decent. Dominic was sick all of day three, and did such a great effort to walk 6 hours, to get to our next camp. Day 4 we walked for 4 hours, and arrived back in Pokhara in the afternoon, with such relief of a hot shower, although the legs are still sooooo sore. The trek I think was the most physically challenging thing I have ever done, but it was so worth it, sometimes you just felt like giving up, but once you made it to the top it was amazing, we passed through villages, observed people farming using ox's, and hand harvesting wheat, entire villages harvesting wheat, was amazing, fences here are made from stone, and all goods bought up the mountains are carried by people, horses and Donkeys, and the weight that these people, and porters carry are unbelievable, it really makes you appreciate what you have.
Today we took a boat around the lake and this afternoon we are going to visit the rainbow children's organization Orphanage here in Pohara, which will be nice,


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb