Pokhara


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
September 27th 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sun Rise at Fish Tail MountainSun Rise at Fish Tail MountainSun Rise at Fish Tail Mountain

We had to get up at 4.30am
Day 5 - Pokhara

Our day started once again with a very early start to view the sunrise over the snow covered mountains of the Annapurna range and in particular the fishtail mountain. Our bus took us part way up the hill to get the best view. Luckily the weather was perfect, and we were able to see daylight break and sun rise hit the tops of each of the snow covered peaks. All this was before breakfast!

After breakfast, we went down to the lake, and a boatman punted us across the lake to the other side so we could make what was in the itinery as a "hike". In fact it was a little more strenuous than that, coupled with the hot weather and lack of liquid refreshment on the way up. At the top was the Peace Stupa, with good view of the lake, surrounding mountains and paragliders on the hill opposite.

We walked back down the hill, punted back, and then went for some lunch before heading to see the Devils Falls and local caves with stalagtites. We also got to walk across one of the many suspension bridges that cross the river which are a feat of engineering and for local people the only way to make the crossing. Our Guide also took us to a local a painting school, where we were able to see students working on highly intricate pieces of work. It takes over 10 years to become a Master and some of the more advanced peices are done with brushes with only one hair. The peice that caught our eye was well out of our price range, but then it had taken 75 months to complete in gold paint!

We then went back to our hotel to get some tea and a chance to do some more bargain hunting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Row Row Row Your BoatRow Row Row Your Boat
Row Row Row Your Boat

On the lake at Pokhara
We made it! We made it!
We made it!

We were glad of the rest at the top


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb