Kongma La Pass and new friends


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Lobuche
November 11th 2018
Published: December 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I feel like each day I say the walk was further or more challenging than expected. Today is no exception.

We woke up a little earlier than usual and were ready to leave just before 8am. The guide book says finding the path can be challenging for the first 5 minutes so we asked if we could join a group who were leaving at the same time as us. They kindly agreed and ended up spending the whole day with us. They were a Canadian couple, Miriam & robin, and a chap from the Netherlands, Bart. They turned out to walk about the same speed as us and were really good company.

The route to start with was slightly different to the map due to a landslip, but fortunately the path was well trodden and relatively easy to follow. The views were spectacular as we ascended and we were very lucky with the weather.

The climb got steeper and more difficult as we ascended. Over 5000m we came across some pretty lakes. Slightly higher again we found a helicopter landing spot and a large, beautiful green lake which we walked around before the final, steep scramble up boulders to the pass at 5560m.

On the pass, under the prayer flags, we sat down in the sun and enjoyed our lunch with spectacular views of the mountains around us. After eating and photos we started the long descent down. This was over boulders to begin with and then loose rocks and sandy ground. As we descended we could see Luboche on the other side of the glacial moraine. We dropped below the level of the village and then had to walk up the glacial moraine.

Once on top on the moraine we realised that this section was going to take longer than expected. The route was poor and made up of boulders and loose scree and sand. The going was much more adventurous than we had bargained for. We had to use stepping stones to cross the river, scramble down boulder fields and climb up one bit of loose sandy soil to finally get to the village. I was very glad we were in a group as it was tough and at times a little scary.

Walk completed by 330pm we found a lodge with a fire lit and all checked in. After changing we enjoyed
Rest time Rest time Rest time

Bart and Robin are in front
lemon tea followed by Dal Bhat for dinner. The others joined us and I really enjoyed the company.

We have now headed to bed. It is so cold. I’m currently in my sleeping bag liner, with 2 duvets and my sleeping bag on top. I’m wearing 3 base layers, a fleece and my down jacket. At some point I suppose I should try and remove a layer...



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

View towards Lobuche on the descentView towards Lobuche on the descent
View towards Lobuche on the descent

We had to descend all the way to he bottom only to climb back up and over the pile of rocks that look like a wall in order to cross the glacier


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb