Patan/Durbar Square/Language Classes


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we started language classes! We have them from 8:45-12 for the next 3 days. Just like any other language, you can't learn much in just a couple days, but we're mainly learning phrases that we might need to use so I think it will definitely be helpful. Today we were able to have a short conversation with a shopkeeper with hardly any English! After 2 days of classes! Nepali is nice because it sounds pretty much how it's written, not like French where it's crazy! And there aren't and crazy intonation rules like in Chinese so it's actually not too bad.
Yesterday afternoon we went to Patan/Durbar Square, a part of Kathmandu with gorgeous temples and some shops. 3 of us found this little hole-in-the-wall tea and spice shop so we bought some tea leaves and spices. The shopkeeper was really nice and gave us free cups of tea and spent a long time explaining all the teas and spices to us. He also talked to us about Nepal and Nepalese culture. It was a good find!
Everywhere we went in the square we got followed by people trying to sell us stuff, especially children. There was this one little boy named Jabe who was 10 years old and could speak Nepalese, English, Spanish and French all pretty fluently, simply from talking to tourists. His English was amazing! He was very talkative and friendly and you could tell he loved interacting with new people. Whenever he saw us he would tell us exactly where all the rest of our group members were. And the most impressive thing...we tried to give him some money at the end because he had helped us and shown us around, but he wouldn't take it! He's a man of principle! :-)
On the way back from the square 4 of us had to squish into the back of a tiny taxi. Not just a normal size one, it was meant for probably 2 people. And then of course there were roadblocks everywhere and we had to go a round-about way. Then combine it with the already crazy driving...It was an exciting experience!
Today we had language classes again in the morning. And by we I mean 5 of us. Out of 14. Half our group got sick last night and spent the whole night pucking. Two others stayed up with them to make sure they were okay. Luckily I haven't gotten sick yet and I'm hoping it stays that way! This afternoon we were supposed to go to some temples in the gorge but we postponed it until half an hour from now so that our sick ones can sleep more and maybe feel better enough to go. We think they're probably sick from the tap water. All that we can do to wash the dishes is basically rinse them in cold tap water. So we're essentially all sharing plate, cups, and silverware and using tap water. But we don't know for sure...
The food is still good. Our hostel kind of alternates between Nepalese and Nepalese-style western food. They give us so much though! We're never hungry by the time we get our next meal! We feel bad leaving food, but honestly I feel like I never will need to eat again after this! And of course there is amazing Nepalese tea! Delicious!
So today is probably the last internet for a while. Tomorrow we're busy all day and then Saturday morning we leave to a village for the weekend. So maybe Monday or Tuesday because supposedly there might be internet in Chitwan, but no promises.
I'm off to explore more temples and hopefully keep from catching everyones' illness! More later!
Oh and happy happy happy birthday to Kallie and Kirsten! A little early for both, I know, but better than never! Hope your birthdays are amazing!

Advertisement



10th July 2008

hey
That's so cool that you can communicate a little better now. I hope everyone gets better and you dont get sick cause fun stuff like that isn't fun if your sick. Sounds like your in heaven and I bet you are. Take care girl and keep posting i love reading them. ~Tosha
10th July 2008

Man I wish I could speak four languages fluently by the time I was that kids age, that's pretty amazing! Language classes sound fun and intense! Well hopefully you won't get sick because that sounds well horrible...ill send good thoughts:-) and yes I plan to have a very happy birthday, thanks, it won't be the same without you though!
11th July 2008

good stuff
I love reading all of this....keep it coming! Sounds great so far...
12th August 2008

i loooooooove youuuu!!
thank you thank you thank you eryn!! i really want to give you a big hug right now!!! your adventures sound beyond epic, and i just want to say it really is a treat to know you and to share these experiences (via internet! haha) with youuuuu. <3 love to miss eryn

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb