RCDP


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
July 8th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we moved to the RCDP hostel in Kalanki. RCDP is the Rural Community Development Program and they are the organization that we are doing our volunteer work through. Their hostel is basic, but not bad at all. It's still in Kathmandu, just more on the outskirts out of the main city area. We'll be here for the rest of the week taking language classes before leaving on Saturday to go to a village for the weekend. During our orientation this morning we learned all about Nepal's history, politics, religion, caste system, and safety and went over our itinerary. I could tell you all about that information but you could just look it up on the internet. Tomorrow we start our language classes.
We have 8 people in our group and then our group leader. I'm the youngest and the oldest is 31, but most are 18-21. There's one girl from California, 4 girls from various parts of England, one boy from England, and one boy originally from Texas but he's lived in Malaysia and Singapore for most of his life. Everyone's nice and most people have a good sense of humor which is always a plus, so I think we'll have a fun trip!
Other than the 8 of us there are 5 other volunteers through various programs that are with us for this first week. They're itinerary is pretty much the same as ours, but after this first week they all split up and do their volunteer work individually. I'm glad that I'm with a group! It makes everything a lot easier!
Let's see, what haven't I talked about yet? The weather! It's monsoon season here, but we actually haven't had much rain. Once we leave Kathmandu, and especially when we go to Chitwan, there will be a lot more rain! It also is supposedly hotter and more humid in the other parts of Nepal that we're going to and I think we're going to die! When the sun's out here it's hot enough! Not as humid as DC but otherwise it feels similar to the 2 hot weeks that we had there. But then the clouds and the fog come and it gets nice and cool. Still hot definitely, but not bad. Probably in the 80s.
Jet lag actually hasn't been too bad. The first day we stayed awake all day and then went to bed at the normal time and slept for almost 10 hours and ever since (okay, well both days since) it hasn't been too bad! Surprising, but a pleasant surprise!
This afternoon we're kind of free to relax because all though the jet lag isn't terrible, it's definitely still there. But, my hour of internet for less than 30 cents is about to run out so I think I'll end. Hope everyone's having a good summer! I'll send some of our heat your way! Miss you all!

Advertisement



10th July 2008

yes please! some heat would be amazing!!! its been pretty cool and rainy here! we need some of your sun! :)

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb