Day 14 Drive to Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
April 24th 2015
Published: April 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today was the last day of our memorable time in Tibet. Left hotel early for short drive to the border so we could be near the front of the line for when Chinese immigration and customs opens at 10 am (closed overnight from 5 pm). After completing formalities we transferred our gear to a truck while we walked across the Friendship Bridge to clear Nepal’s customs and immigration. The whole process took over 2 hrs. While incredibly complicated for us it is far worse for trucks. 100's line up each side & neither are allowed to cross into the other country & all goods have to be transferred to waiting trucks on the other side. The road on the Nepal side is almost undrivable as we have a small walk through an arcade of traders to a new bus for the final 117 km drive to Kathmandu. The road was a busy twisting corruguted narrow road for most of the until we then hit the real traffic of Kmd. Its hard to believe this is the only route between the two contries.

On reflection while I find the Buddhist religion difficult to understand it seems to resonate with the Tibetans
Walk from bridge to bus.Walk from bridge to bus.Walk from bridge to bus.

This is the only International border crossing between these 2 countries
as they seem devoted to it appear very happy, no crime, live together as families & all despite being very poor & mostly second class citizens in their own country.

On the otherhand, China’s influence in Tibet in omnipresent, initially responsible for vast destruction of monasteries and temples. Recent rebuilding is more to do with tourist appeal rather than any easing of control or harsh dealings with dissent. Tibetans are known to call it "free prison". The country remains poor, life harsh with the Tibetan way of life under threat from Chinese migration seeking to develop the country’s natural resources. Its a fine balance as the country would remain undeveloped without China but only time will tell at what cost.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



25th April 2015
Wheat Terraces

Kathmandu earthquake
Are you safe?
28th April 2015
Wheat Terraces

Safe
Hi, Brian, yes we 3 are all OK staying at Austin Embassy. Finally got new flights home 4 Thur night (hopefully)

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb