Day 13 Drive to Zhangmu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Friendship Highway
April 23rd 2015
Published: April 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Amazing drive Amazing drive Amazing drive

Continuous decline for 95 kms
Today was only a 30 km drive but a slow 3 hrs down to the Tibet/Nepal border town of Zhangmu (previously known as Dram). For the second day we continued down the Sun Kosi Gorge dropping a further 1300 mths for a combined 2800 mtrs over 95kms of winding road and continuous hairpin turns and dramatic dropaways.

Today I had the co-drivers seat which was the best seat in the house although some of the dropaways were hold on to the seat of your pants stuff and evidence of broken barrier guards where some vehicles didnt make it. The outlook changes from frozen, barren, desolate Tibetan Plateau to a humid sub-tropical, dense, evergreen forest filled with waterfalls & a fast running river running through the gorge. The similarity of the rapid change reminded me of the death road in Bolivia but this was scarier due to busy traffic as it is virtually the only route for trade between Tibet, Nepal and the north of India.

Zhangmu is built clinging to the foothills of the Himalaya’s, so it is very narrow and steep. Its one main street is incredibly busy with trucks coming for Nepal and can be quicker to walk than drive. The hotel was a godsend with the 1st hot or cold shower for 3 days although the hot was not available till 5.30 pm. The food was the first western style food for nearly 2 weeks & was a welcome treat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

More hairpins & switchbacksMore hairpins & switchbacks
More hairpins & switchbacks

Distorted as taken thru window


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb