Starting 20 Day Trek in Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
October 20th 2009
Published: October 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Treking TeamTreking TeamTreking Team

Dean, Dawa Sherpa, Kaji Sherpa, and Cath. Dawa isn't joining us but he was super helpful.
We are no longer doing to do the Dhaulagiri Circuit. The weather has been unsual this year and the recent unexpected snowfall covered up a lot of the crevasses along the glacier making it quite treacherous to cross. We couldn't find that many guides who were willing to take us.

Thanks to Google, Cath came up with an excellent alternative: The Nar and Phu valley followed by climb up Chulu Far East (6059m) and a side trip to Tilico lake. It will be a similar trek to the Annapurna circuit but in more isolated Tibetan valleys (permits required) so we can avoid the crowds in Annapurna. There are big crowds on Annapurna believe us! The whole trek will involve mostly camping, but there will be a few tea houses and should take about 20 days. Once we get our permits (Oct 21st), we will take the bus to Khudi (or another village close by) and start trekking.

The Nar and Phu valleys are newly opened, spectacular regions of ethnically Tibetan inhabitants This is a trek that combines high snow-peaks, ancient villages and high altitude grazing settlements (we hope to see some yaks). We will be taking one guide and
Chulu Far East Chulu Far East Chulu Far East

6059 meters. I'm not sure if this picture is accurate.
a porter. Magnus, the porter will be necessary to carry the 12kg tent (it's the only one we could find). The guide will carry the other one. We will need quite a bit of mountaineering gear as well. We will be aclimatizing and moving safely up the mountain to avoid AMS.

We got a lot of help from a contact we made here (courtesy of Chris Goodman (Dean's boss)). The company is owned by Dawa Sherpa and he has been very helpful. He has set us up with Kaji Sherpa and another porter. Dawa is a veteren of in the expedition field here. It seems like a tighter group amoung the guide companies, sort of like our AR scene back home, everyone knows everyone. Dawa was actually asked to be a guide with Scott Fischer's team in the tragic 1996 Everest attempt that went horibily wrong. The book 'Into Thin Air' tells the story. He has also come 38 metres from the top of Everest.

We are really looking for to this trek - it will be a definite highlight of our trip. Being able to climb over 6000 metres (close to 20,000 ft) is something Dean has wanted to challenge himself with ever since his last trip here 10 years ago (Cath's arm only had to twisted a tiny bit)

We are so happy to be getting out of Kathmandu. Dean got a sore throat from all the gas fumes, and pollution plus he ate something bad so he's a little sick. Cath was sick a few days ago. We are both being careful now especailly since we start treking tomorrow.

PARENTS AND SIBLINGS: Please NO NOT worry, we will take every precaution and we have a great guide who has summited this peak before.
There will be no blogging until we get back!!!!

Dean and Cath

Some details of our trek:

Bus to Besisahar tomorrow
Start trek Oct 23
3 days on Annapurna circuit then diverting off in to the Phu and Nar Valley
6-7 days in the Phu and Nar Valleys (high pass Kangla pass 5306 metres)
5 days summit attempt to Chulu Far East 6059m or Chulu East (6429m)
5 days through the Tilico Lake area (high pass 5340m and highest lake in the world, unverified!)
Nov 12th - end trek
Nov 13th - fly from Jomsom to Pokhara
Nov 14th - bus from Pokhara back to Kathmandu
Adventure onward to India




Advertisement



21st October 2009

wow!
Sounds like an amazing adventure you two. Be safe and have a great time.
23rd October 2009

Phaw, 20000?
We hit 14000 on the Inca trail...the altitude defo kicked in for us, can't wait to hear how it all goes for you....hopefully you get good weather...good luck guys!!
26th October 2009

Awsome trip guys!
Dean and Cath, can't wait to hear about the hike! Enjoying the posts. Cheers, Lannie
12th November 2009

What's happening!
Hey guys, according to your rough schedule you should be getting close to finishing today! Hope everything went well! Pen and I are moved into Dean's old place now...we live here! Come over for a beer when you're done travelling ;o)
14th November 2009

We miss you!!
Hope you're really on the bus back to Kathmandu today :) and that you had a great time. Can't wait to hear about it - we miss you!!! XOXO M. and B.
15th November 2009

welcome back!
Hey guys, I think you are supposed to be back from your trek...hope all is well :-). Lannie and I are out in Surrey for the night and are talking about you two. So send us an update soon. Cheerio! erin

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb