Attacked by a monkey in a temple of peace


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
March 1st 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived in Kathmandu, we thought it would be a little less than India, such as the pace, the people, boy were we wrong. Everything was more. We had enough time to check in before one of the many power cycles in the city. One thing that you have to get used to, but is confusing that they sometimes shut down power when people need it, and run it during the night.

After a good night sleep we ventured by foot to find the notorious monkey temple, but found ourselves a little off track and in an area that could have possibly been destroyed recently. We managed to see the temple in the mountains so we kept our eyes on the prize, crossed the river of garbage and we were there. Once I had been walking uphill for a while the last thing I wanted to see was a million stairs straight up. We headed up one step at a time surrounded by monkeys and managed to hit the top.

After a little breather we walked around and got to witness many monks and monkeys living in harmony. A beautiful place and well worth the climb. On the
222

Monkeys on our way up to monkey temple
way back down Sarah was carrying a little bag which drew the attention of a monkey. Their eyes locked and the monkey ran and swiped at Sarah, luckily only ripping the bag and not her skin. Now that she is okay it was probably one of the funniest things I've seen, all the locals were laughing and making comments to Sarah the walk down about being scared of monkeys.

After the temple we tried to find Durbar Square, again by foot. This time there were not many hills but a lot of dust, dirt, rocky roads and every farm animal you could imagine. After an hour of walking aimlessly, and a little help from many friendly locals we found the square and it was a beautiful chaotic area of Kathmandu. We grabbed a seat and began people watching including a kid beating a dog, and trying to throw it by grabbing all four legs and swinging it. We headed back to our hotel, and had many offers for treks, and donations. After a busy day I was excited to come back to our place of no power and peace and quiet.

Tomorrow we are off to Chitwan!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

33
3

Very steep stairs...proving we are in no shape for trekking
99
9

venturing through the back streets
1010
10

Durbar Square


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb