Namaste from Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
October 8th 2005
Published: October 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

No cars, no outside news, no laundry machines and no phones (that actually worked). If you can summarize an experience by describing what was missing, this would be a good start to attempt to describe our Annapurna circuit trek.

We will be brief and let the photos describe the rest. In one word, the Nepalese countryside, the mountains and the people scattered in the villages throughout were amazing. In the course of the roughly 300km trek we watched the weather, the topography and our level of resistance to the Nepalese cuisine continually change. Despite some rough days and some slight indicators of altitude sickness, all we could do was keep on trekking (as cliché as it sounds).

Lindsay needs to be noted here for her un-human demonstration of stubbornness and resilience against an early striking but long lasting case of food poisoning of some type, which she contracted before the trek began while we were still in Kathmandu. Unfortunately she didn’t manage to shake this bug and the usual unpleasant ‘manifestations’ until 8 days into the trek. Anything that was going in was quickly coming right out. How she walked 6-8 hours (seemingly all uphill) on the little nutrients she kept down will remain a mystery to us, and the many trekkers we met along the way…

Overall, despite some initial doubts on day 10 we made it over the “pass”, the highest as well as the coldest part of the circuit. At this point we could start to see the end in sight and were thoroughly enjoying the more ‘downhill’ part of the circuit.

So, that’s all for now. We’ll try to post more frequent updates once were back in India and have email access.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Lots of apples?!?Lots of apples?!?
Lots of apples?!?

We'll brave a dust storm for that any day!


13th October 2005

Keep yer chins up! :)
Hey guys, Tara you don't know me but I'm a friend of Lindsay through Yasmin back at CCNM. Great idea to keep a travel diary, it's exciting for all us stuck back home reading about your adventures! I haven't seen the pictures yet but I will right after this. Try some singing bowls while you are still in Nepal! :) Steve

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb