Manaslu Conservation Area


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Himalayas
September 1st 2020
Published: September 1st 2020
Edit Blog Post

Nepal is known as the great Himalayan country in the world. The Manaslu Conservation Area is located in the Mountains region of north-western Nepal. Its Landscape includes the Budi Gandaki River, the eighth highest peak in the World Mt.Manaslu (8163m), and many other places of natural beauty.Inhabited by over 8000 people in seven villages, the area is known for Gurung traditions with a flavor of Tibetan lifestyle.

Climate: the average summer and winter temperatures are between 31’c and 34’c and 8’cto 13’c respectively in the belt between 1000m and 2000m. In the temperate zone (2000m-3000m), summer temperatures fluctuate zone from 22’c ton25’c, and winter temperate range from -2’to 6’c. Frost and snowfall are common during winter (January and February). The subalpine zone (3000m 4000m), Snowfall occurs for about four to six months (December to May). In this zone, winter is severely cold and even in summer, the temperature is not high with a mean annual temperature of 6’c to 10’c. The alpine zone between 4000 and 5000m is mostly open meadows. The arctic zone lies at elevations above 4,500m.

Flora and Fauna

The area houses 19 types of forest ecosystems characterized by threes species like Chir Pine, Schema, oak, Spruce, Blue Pine, Rhododendron, hemlock, fir, etc. The high altitude is characterized by birth and scrublands. The area is rich in medicinal and aromatic plants. The floral checklist includes 587 vascular plants that have been recorded in the area. The faunal checklist includes 33 species of mammals, 110 species of birds, and 3 species of reptiles/amphibians. The symbolic mammal species are snow leopard, musk deer and Himalayan Thar, ground squirrel, whereas the symbolic bird species are variegated laughing thrush, grandala Northern goshawk. Interesting things Great Himalayan Manaslu region from Arughat to Larke-La pass has six climatic zones, tropical, subtropical, temperate, sub-alpine, alpine, and arctic. The extreme climate contrasts within the 100 km trail between Arughat and Samdo are associated with tremendous differences in elevation, topography, and precipitation. The area retains traditional subsistence lifestyles of the diverse ethnic groups through their cultural and religious practices.

The area demonstrates a model of integrated conservation and development under community management. Several committees and user groups have been formed to cater to specific management interventions in the area.Access of ManasluThe great Himalayan has mountain ridges and valley glaciers offer feasible approaches from all directions, and culminate in a peak that towards steeply above its surrounding landscape, and is a dominant feature when viewed from afar. The Manaslu Circuit Trek starts from Gorkha, home of the legendary Gorkha Soldiers, and follows the meandering Budhi Gandaki River or the Darundi River before reaching Larke-La pass (5106 m.) and crossing over into Manang District in The Annapurna Conservation Area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb