Back in Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Bhaktapur
December 2nd 2012
Published: December 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Back in Nepal. Finally, we could see eachother again... Gyanendra was already in Nepal since October 18th, Zoe arrived last Sunday (November 25th). Gyanendra came in the airport, together with almost the whole family, and gave Zoe a warm welcome. Zoe was the last one who arrived and made the family complete (after 5 years): from Australia, USA and Europe, all brothers travelled back home for the wedding of Dharmendra (the youngest brother) and the Bel Bibaha of Seelvia (the youngest kid in the family).

For a few days, we were hanging around, preparing for the festivities,... For example: going to the jewellery-shop with the jewels Zoe used for the wedding 2 years ago, and changing them for more shiny and new jewels (that fit for the coming festivities). Nepal seems very chaotic, but nothing is less true: they could even find our bill from 2 years ago, to check how much discount they can give now.

On Wednesday, it was Purnima (full moon day), this month a special one: Hali Mali Purnima. This is celebrated by the Newar community to celebrate that all the roots, corns and grains have been harvested. At every temple in Bhaktapur, they made nice drawings on the floor with grains, popcorn and other eatable things. Every temple is dedicated to one of the Hindu-gods, so every drawing is different and mostly showing the god of that particular temple. And since Hindus and Buddhists live peacefully together, we even saw a Buddhist-stupa where they (Hindu people) were celebrating.

Once the design is finished, candles are being burnt and people start making music (on 9 different drums) and singing. So wandering around that night was a special experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



2nd December 2012

Namaste
Hoi Gyan en Zoe, Leuk om van jullie te horen! Sorry, Zoe, ik ben niet meer bij je geweest in Antwerpen... :-( Ik heb onverwachts extra werk gekregen en geef nu een aantal avonden in de week lessen in Oost-Brabant, dus het was ineens druk. Ik vind het daarom extra leuk om jullie blog te lezen en foto's te zien! :-) Veel liefs en groeten aan de hele familie en een fijne tijd met zijn allen gewenst! X Tineke
3rd December 2012

hallokes
Dag Zoƫ en Gyanendra geniet van elkaar en van de mooie dingen daar! Veel plezier Lut en Eric

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb