Day 1 of our wedding (october 17th)


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Bhaktapur » Durbar Square
October 24th 2010
Published: October 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Because there is so much to tell and to show about our wedding and because every day was so different, we will write and show pictures day by day. So we will start by the first day, the Swaymber-day, the day that we celebrated at the temple. After getting dressed at the temple, together with Eline and many other family-members, it started by Zoe who had to make three rounds around the place of the celebration, where were sitting Gyanendra's parents and the priest. This happened by carrying the garlands for Gyanendra, follewed by putting the garlands around his neck. Gyanendra soon did the same (except making the rounds), and also had to put a golden hanger. This was followed by exchanging the wedding-rings. After that, Gyanendra had to put coloured powder in Zoe's hair. In Hindu-culture, women with this kind of powder in their hair, are married women. Many other things were also happening: Zoe touching Gyanendra's feet with her head, curd (yoghurt)-puja, other puja,... After that, Gyanendra's mother had to throw lots of flowers on our head and this was followed by everybody throwing flowers. This was followed by Gyanendra's father who had to show a small mirror (symbol of sun) to everybody, so everybody had to respect Surya, the sun-god. Later on, we received a tika, and the priest also gave a tika to everybody who wanted. Other kinds of puja (worshipping) were following, including giving money to the priest. After that, the two of us started eating, but not just eating. First we received an egg, fish and raksi (the local strong drink), a usual habit in puja. This was followed by eating out of the same plate, a symbol of sharing everything from now on. Even we had to feed eachother. This was the end of the ceremony in which we were helped a lot by Gyanendra's parents, sisters, brothers in law, sister in law,... to know what we had to do (since it's our first wedding experience, and the details of the ceremony are very difficult). After a break (with tea and sweets), there was the wedding-ceremony of Eline and Chiniya. In the same time, the first people started eating Samya Baji (the traditional Newari food). In different groups, everybody was eating. Also our European guests enjoyed it (we hope), even though some of them just arrived and had to eat in the traditional way (sitting on the floor and eating with their hands). During this, it slowly started raining. And by the end of the meal, it was rainig very heavily, but everybody could stay under the roof and it gave some cosy atmosphere. We also got the nice surprise of our belgian family singing a special song (love love love) for the four of us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



24th October 2010

leuk
Alles ziet er heel pleirig uit, hopelijk is de sfeer navenant, doe ze daar allemaal de groeten, hier is alles ok. Papa
26th October 2010

CONGRATULATIONS !!!
Loads of CONGRATULATIONS to the newly wedded COUPLE Its me Sarbagya Shrestha, GP's school FREN. Due to my job at Nepalgunj (about 500km far from KTM), I had to leave early before ur marriage ceremony. Watching ur snaps and reading these words; really really missed all those moments. Hope to read more and more !!!! Always a FREN Sarbagya n Family
26th October 2010

Congratulation
First of all, congratulation to Dear Gyanenedra bro for getting marry. Wish your happy married life!! I am very glad to see the marriage photos with live narration. While i was reading narration, i felt was also one of the participant over there. This wedding message is an important documents for we Nepali specially for Newar community, from which everybody can get information about the marriage ceremony and custom of Newar community. Being a Newar, i want to thanks for blogger. Hope this blog will contribute more in future to explore the culture of Nepal and expand tourism industry. At last wishing in Chinese too: 祝你们新婚快乐!(zhu nimen xin hun kuai le)
27th October 2010

PROFICIAT!!!
Jullie zien er echt gelukkig uit, jullie schitteren! We zijn blij dit te zien. Samen zijn jullie nu een grote familie hé. Geniet van jullie familie en vrienden daar en heb nog een fijne reis. Veel liefs, Frie

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb