Trekking to Chhomrong


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna
January 29th 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Terraces and foothills - day 1Terraces and foothills - day 1Terraces and foothills - day 1

First of a series of pictures from Trekking in the foothills
Travel blog - More from Wonderful Nepal

FIRST OF ALL A HUGE THANKYOU TO EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN IN TOUCH WITH US THROUGH E-MAIL AND ESPECIALLY ON THE BLOG. IT MEANS SOOOO MUCH, AND REMINDS ME AND OLIVER OF HOME.

DIOLCH YN FAWR IAWN I PAWB SYDD WEDI EBOSTIO NI, MAEN ATGOFA NI O CYMRU.......



The driving is still mad. We are staying in a wonderful hotel called the Courtyard Hotel, where Michelle and Pujan are just lovely. It's really brilliant, the gardens are huge and it is right in the middle of Thamel. We have even played cards in the courtyard.

We have been to Swayambhunath (or the Monkey temple) and the Bodhnath Stupa which means monument - we liked this the best.

There has been a strike on, and people have refused to tidy up their litter. But its its ok, because we are going to Pokhara.


Pokhara - the day before trekking.

Oliver had a terrible bus trip, he was sick and also had a poorly tummy after eating some tomato (we think), but as usual he has recovered really quickly and is now eating even more than
Peaks and valleysPeaks and valleysPeaks and valleys

A little bit higher than Snowdon ... Dipyn bach mwy uwch na'r Wyddfa... 8000m +
ever. The food in Pokhara is gorgeous, we had a pancake by the lake.


Trekking - on the way to Chomrong
By Hannah (this bit)
I said to myself before starting this is going to be easy, but I realised that I had practised by going up Cnicht - the top of which was lower than our starting point!! As soon as I was on my third day I realised that it wasn't going to be so easy. I'm really proud of myself because I managed to walk the whole 60km without any help at all.(except from my stick - which was very handy for making buffaloes move of the trail to leaning on it when my legs were tired).

The pictures are of terraces and mountain lodges, the mountain peaks that we could see nearly all the time, landslides we had to walk around and how we had to go up and down the steep valleys. Another picture shows dad and me cooking the rice for dinner, and steep trails, as mountain butterfly and one of the many amazing rope bridges we had to cross.

By Oliver
Look Mr. Myfyr and Mrs. Thomas, I still
Cooking rice for dinnerCooking rice for dinnerCooking rice for dinner

When we stayed in Chhomrong we cooked the rice Garung style on top of the fire - gets rid of all the nasty beasties that could be in there
had to do my homework even at 2250m! These were hard take away sums that daddy made me do. Everywhere we went the children came out to play with us. Kisan our guide carried me on some of the really steep and hard bits. The highest mountain we climbed was 2400m. The people carried everything on their heads and some people carried bamboo sticks over their shoulders with baskets hanging off them with rice, tomatos and cauliflowers in them.

The popcorn is better here than at home!!!!!!!...



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Steep Tracks!Steep Tracks!
Steep Tracks!

Surprisingly this wasn't one of the steepest tracks we went on - the steepest bits were mostly uphill.
One of the many bridges we crossedOne of the many bridges we crossed
One of the many bridges we crossed

Un o'r pontiau ddaru ni croesi yn ystod y'r trec One of the bridges we crossed during our trek..
Kids we met on the wayKids we met on the way
Kids we met on the way

Maer plant yn ddel iawn, ac yn meddwl bod Oliver a fi yn mor diddorol efo llygaid glas... The local kids were very nice to us, and they thought our blue eyes were unusual
Popcorn!!!!Popcorn!!!!
Popcorn!!!!

Yesterday I found out that Himalayan popcorn tastes a lot better than popcorn from the cinema


1st February 2009

Love the blog, we are following your journey and are so jealous. Can't wait to see your next entry --- keep it up. Best wishes John (IT Guy)
2nd February 2009

Keep the 'demon' going !
Well done guys, the 'oldies' are having to join the 21st Century to keep up. Fabulous blog, awesome all of you. Love... us...
2nd February 2009

wow!
Have just seen your latest blog, had wondered if you had disapeared in Nepal! It sounds fan-tas-tic, just need to know who was at the front ?! We are so envious as you seem to be visiting all sorts of wonderful places and meeting such interesting people will you ever want to come back home? We think you must be going off for the elephant safari next which will give you all time to rest your legs after such a long walk-60 km!Alice has an inflatable globe which she has now put a sticker on over Nepal to show where you are. Take care all of you and can't wait to hear next installment !xxxxxxxEmma and maddy p.s could not see photos ?
9th February 2009

So Lucky!
Wow you guys it seems your having a great time. Your just sooo lucky. Hope all is well. Im enjoying following your journey, a trip of a life time it seem! love Bethan x

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb