From Pokhara to toChitwan, and back to Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
February 3rd 2009
Published: February 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Homework at PokharaHomework at PokharaHomework at Pokhara

Can't get away with it....even in Nepal
The journey from Pokhara was by bus, and not just any bus - it was the most rickety ramshackle bus that we have ever seen. It looked like it had been sitting in a bus yard for decades. There were a lot of tall people on the bus, and they kept whacking their heads because the roof was so low, and dad was one of them, in fact every time he stood up he hit his head. We left Pokhara at 7:30AM and the journey took 6 hours - but it felt like 2 days. It was soooooo boring, there was nothing really to do. We even made up menus for a pretend cafe.

As soon as we arrived in Chitwan we got a taxi to our camp and the driver was called Chris, he was very little with a shocking mullet hairstyle. We had to help this german guy who was being pulled by the different taxi drivers saying “you come to my lodge” and “my lodge better” We just told him to come with us and he did.

We were staying in Jungle Adventure World, which was a brilliant camp, and we had our own cottage, which
Pinky the ElephantPinky the ElephantPinky the Elephant

This is Pinky sitting down so we can get off.
was really a hut. Well it was brilliant apart from the bathroom, where if you turned the shower on it would go up through a hole in the roof, and come back down again on the other side of the roof in the corner of the room, weird!

But the best part was that the lodge had its own elephant called Pinky. She was only a baby (14 years old). She is fully trained but still a cheeky monkey. Her master feeds her hay balls with seeds in the middle, but before he has finished making them she gobbles them up. We went on the village tour and with our guide we stopped to have a drink and watch the sunset, over Royal Chitwan National Park. Just then Pinky was coming back from work with a load of people on her back. As soon as they got off the driver asked if Oliver and I wanted a ride back to the camp - obviously we said YES. This was our first ride on an elephant and it is one of the pictures we have posted.

The next day at 7:15 we went off to do some canoing. I
Half ton twins..Half ton twins..Half ton twins..

The beautiful baby elephant twins with thier sister.
was expecting lifejackets, safety belts and floating oars - but instead we got a hollow piece of wood and a man with a stick.
I was expecting to do some rowing too, but didn't. We were looking out for kingfishers, cranes and storks and eagles. We saw most of them apart from a crane, but it so misty you could barely see anything unless it landed 3 meters away from you.

After the canoe trip we went to the elephant breeding centre and we saw twin baby elephants (second ever in captivity! - the other time was in Sri Lanka). There was a very brave little elephant, that was about a year old, going around pushing his trunk into peoples pockets, and knocking them out of the way if they were in his way. He nearly knocked Oliver over by accident, but our guide saved him......there is a picture of the twins and their elder sister on the blog.

Next was the elephant safari. We were sitting on top of a 3 meter tall elephant, watching the wildlife in the jungle. We saw three rhinos, three march muggers (type of crocodile) and countless families of deer.

We
The really cheeky chappieThe really cheeky chappieThe really cheeky chappie

The baby elephant that nearly knocked Oliver over
are now back at Kathmandu (staying in the Courtyard Hotel again which is starting to feel like home!!!). Last night we were invited to Kisan's house (our guide for the trekking). As soon as we got in his wife whisked me and Oli off to get dressed up in Nepali clothes. The starter was delicious, veg Momos, which we watched being made. The main course was Dahl Baht, just like other Nepalese families this one went straight to bed after food. So the boss of the company drove us home, his wife was a very nice lady who kept pinching me and poking me and hugging me all the time. She didn't speak a word of English, but she smiled.

And see Mr. Myfyr, we are still doing our homework!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Our hut at Jungl Adventure LodgeOur hut at Jungl Adventure Lodge
Our hut at Jungl Adventure Lodge

Doesn't look much, but we loved it. Look at the broken solar power!
Crocodiles!Crocodiles!
Crocodiles!

Marsh Muggers on the banks of the river Rapti river
Rhino!Rhino!
Rhino!

The first of the three rhino that we saw in Chitwan National Park
Safari so goodySafari so goody
Safari so goody

Check us out on the back of a huge elephant....what a laugh, especially when the guide got off and disappeared for a wee..... Dyma ni ar top elifant enfawr. Roedd y golygfa yn braf, ond yr taith yn araf araf iawn.


4th February 2009

elephants!!
We are really jealous of your elephants trips, your comments make it so real, Keep writing. Love from cold Wales Nana and Grandad
5th February 2009

Wow!
Wow! We have been following your trip on the blog and sounds and looks amazing. I see helen has been busy with her camera! Cerys has grown so much and is missing her cousins lots and cant wait to see them in london. Keep having a great time and updating the blog love Sarah, Dan and Cerys.
5th February 2009

Loved the elephants especially the baby. Not so sure about the rhinos and croc. Class are following your adventures closely. Ciaran thinks Kathmandu may be near Welshpool!! Mrs. T. XX

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb