Mutton hell in Mongolia


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia
June 30th 2006
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Girls in the GerGirls in the GerGirls in the Ger

Girls in the Ger
There are not many places that you can visit were people live a nomadic life herding sheep and goats on horse back, live in tents and survive on a diet of mostly mutton. It's that and the vast unfenced green landscape that makes Mongolia magical - well apart from the mutton.

After leaving the Trans-Siberia train at Ulaan Baatar, the capital of Mongolia and in my book the ugliest city on earth, we headed into the countryside to a national park. Being able to stay in a Ger (a traditional Mongolian tent) in the park brought back for me some of the excitement I felt as a kid when I was allowed to camp in the garden for the first time.

We were lucky enough to get to visit to home of a local family. We were greeted outside by a little boy - no more than five - playing with a huge knife that looked sharp enough to cut metal. Inside the family (six people and a dog) lived in one tiny room, but still managed to have a 50 inch TV.

Although I loved the peace and natural beauty of Mongolia the food was truly nasty.
National ParkNational ParkNational Park

National Park
Not being a fan of mutton whether boiled, tinned or any other way it was a struggle. On one menu we actually saw 'traditional milk tea with a hint of dried meat' - yum!

After a couple of days we were actually keen to get back on the train to get to China and anything other than stringy meat.

Advertisement



30th June 2006

Wow
Ooooh, it looks like you're having so much fun, I bet you can't belive you're actually there now! Hope China's cuisine has more to offer.... Lots of love Becky xxxx
30th June 2006

Hi
Hi Iona, I hope your having a great time, it certainly sounds like an experience. Hope all is well, stay in touch, Steve
3rd July 2006

hello there
aye what like? hope u are having fun u should be used to mutton wi dads eating habbits see u soon cheers billy

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb